Fireball (spell)

paulmoore

I am toying around with the idea of using a fireball spell in my fantasy novel. I am not sure how to word it just yet, and was looking at getting some insight as to what kinds of words are out there to describe it. I think I'd like to keep the phrase relatively short, but I am open to anything. I was thinking about a few options such as...

1. Fireball
2. A ball of fire
3. Fiery projectile
4. Fiery missile
5. Explosion of fire
6. Incendiary ???

Just curious to see what everyone comes up with. Thanks!

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

Re: Fireball(spell)

Globulus igneus

Please wait for others to reply first

Imprecator

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Re: Fireball(spell)

"A fiery glob"?

I'd suggest sphaera ignifera.

paulmoore

Imprecator dixit:
"A fiery glob"?

I'd suggest sphaera ignifera.
I believe that he meant the word globulus to represent the term globule, which means a small spherical body, which in this case would be an accurate representation. Aside from that, however, I very much like the sound of sphaera ignifera. Ahh decisions, decisions!

Imprecator

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

paulmoore dixit:
I believe that he meant the word globulus to represent the term globule, which means a small spherical body, which in this case would be an accurate representation.
Surely you jest? What's next, ignea, ignifera, and sphaera meaning igneous, igniferous, and sphere?

In any case, globulus, along with related words such as glaeba, almost always refers to a solid mass. Sphaera has the same problem, however.

paulmoore

Surely you jest? What's next, ignea, ignifera, and sphaera meaning igneous, igniferous, and sphere?
I am sorry, I meant no offense. I was simply referring to the fact that Iohannes meant the term globulus to represent a spherical shape rether than a 'glob'. Seeing as how most all of our words in mordern english have roots from latin, I only thought that he meant the term to be comparitive to our term globule. Please don't think of me as an ignorant person, I just don't really understand how the latin language works.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Perhaps glomerentur in orbem ignis

Let fire be formed into a ball

B

Bitmap

I took it to be ign[i-long:qbq6jfkh][/i-long:qbq6jfkh]s. Not the most common form, though, especially in the nominative plural

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Unfortunately no, it was just a mistake :oops: