For a tattoo: warrior of Christ

davlac

I'm planning to get a tattoo and if somebody could translate this for me it would be very nice.

Warrior of God

Warrior of Christ

Thanks for your help.

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

bellator dei
bellator christi

Just my translation, all right? There is a chance that ecclesiastical Latin has commonly used expressions to say the above, but I am not familiar with them. The grammar is right though :mrgreen:

Where will the tattoo go?

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

bellator is masculine. If you need a feminine version, let me know.

davlac

I'm plannig to get the tattoo on my chest. I don't know where I could get the ecclesiastical version maybe you could help me. With what sort of latin you translated those sentences i gave to you?

Thank you

jaffa

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

It means soldier of Christ in Latin - (ecclesiastical Latin is the same language with a few different words and pronunciations but basically the same). If you use this then anyone would understand it as soldier of Christ.
If they knew Latin that is! Hope this helps.

davlac

you helped me a lot, i ve read somewhere milites christi, whats the difference with that one and the one you gave me.

does bellator christi also mean the same thing as warrior of christ in ecclesiastical latin.

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

milites is plural.

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

I only mentioned ecclesiastical Latin because it was ecclesiastical Latin that was used by the Catholic church (not classical Latin, which was the language of the ancient times). There may have been an expression for 'warrior of Christ' that was commonly used by the Catholic church, which also used Latin (ecclesiastical). I would not know this expression, but it seems that miles christi could be it.

I am sorry, I probably should not have mentioned ecclesiastical Latin at all - it has only brought in confusion so far :)

Anyway, bellator and miles were both used both in classical and in ecclesiastical Latin. I purposely did not use later words for 'warrior' - choosing more common one bellator. Bellator means warrior, while miles means soldier. Just as in Engllish these words can sometimes be used interchangeably.

In other words, take your pick, they are both fine :)

jaffa

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Yes, bellator is used in ecclesiastical latin as warrior. I found the word in the writings of Tertullian.
Miles Christi seems to be more common in biblical texts though.

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

jaffa dixit:
Akela, we just posted at exactly the same time!
Spooky :shock: Too bad I didn't view the thread after I posted.

@davlac: Good luck with the process.