Love for you, with love

A

Anonymous

I need a translation to latin, for the english phrase "for you, with love". Or even another very short phrase that would translate better, so long as it means doing something for you for the love of it. With this phrase I must include the latin word "tibi".

I have the words of this phrase translated, ie. tibi = for you... With = per ...... and Love = diligo. Would it be correct to phrase this as "tibi per diligo"?

I would prefer to use the word "dilectus" rather than "amor" as another option if diligo is incorrect. The phrase is to mean doing something for the love of it, so is not to be read as doing or giving something for you "as you are my lover" as such.

If possible for this phrase (as it will be read by non-latin readers), I would prefer not to use the word "cum" as it may give an unintentional reaction to it's readers.

Iynx, if you could please send through another translation now that I have provided you with more further information it would be much appreciated. Thanks for what you have provided so far as it is very helpful and sorry, previously I was not very clear on what the phrase required was to mean.

Iynx

Consularis

• Consularis

Re: English/Latin translation "for you, with love"

1. The tibi is fine.

2. Diligo is a verb: "I love". It cannot be the object of a preposition, like per.

3. There is an adjective that is closely related to diligo: dilectus; it can mean "beloved". There is also a noun, dilectus, but it tends to carry the connotation of "selection" or "choice".

4. Why not use amor?

5. I suppose you intend the "with love" to indicate what in Latin would be an "ablative-of-manner". We would probably say cum amore or, especially in poetry, just amore. One would also tend to omit the preposition (the cum) if there were an associated adjective.

Tibi magno cum amore.

would be "for you with great love".

B

Bitmap

If you don't like amor, you could use dilectio; that's the post-classical, ecclesiastic word for "love": Tibi magna (cum) dilectione

A

Anonymous

i found another translation that sounds good. Would it be possible to use he phrase "tibi perfectus per diligo"

Does this make sense to read, or does it read in the wrong order?
What does this phrase mean in english?

B

Bitmap

It looks like it is taken from an internet translator and makes no sense at all. See also: THREAD: #5579

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

Tibi multo amore = "For you, with much love"

Tibi cum amore ="For you, with love"