Forever and ever.

Watson87

I came across the phrase "Per omnia saecula saeculorum" in one of the books from the Dean Koontz series "Odd Thomas". It is said to mean "forever and ever".

I was just curious as to what is the correct way to say "Forever and ever" in latin. Upon researching it, I found quite a few different ways such as "In saecula saeculorum".

Which is the correct, proper translation?

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

Per omnia saecula saeculorum is literally something like "through all the ages of ages". In saecula saeculorum means something like "for the ages of ages".

If that is attested and common, I'd go with that. I personally have never seen it before, but I am fairly new to Latin. The two look equally correct, though, even though their literal translations don't sound great.

Watson87

Ah yes, I forgot to include that in my search it did say that the literal meaning is something along the lines of "ages and ages" which is roughly translated to mean Forever and ever. If it helps, it was in the Dean Koontz book that took place in a monastery. So it may have some sort of religious background?

miroslaw

Nikolaos dixit:
Per omnia saecula saeculorum is literally something like "through all the ages of ages". In saecula saeculorum means something like "for the ages of ages".

If that is attested and common, I'd go with that. I personally have never seen it before, but I am fairly new to Latin. The two look equally correct, though, even though their literal translations don't sound great.
I checked with William Robertson's dictionary od latin phrases - it confirms what Nikolaos suggested.

There are also other similar way of expressing phrase Forever and ever for example :
THE BOOK OF PSALMS: CHAPTER 44,7 :
Thy throne o God is forever and ever. - Thronus Tuus Deus in saeculum et in aeternum

A conceptual translation perhaps :
In aeternum et semper - literally "Forever and always"

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

Gloria Patri, et Filio, et Spiritui Sancto. Sicut erat in principio, et nunc, et semper, et in saecula saeculorum. Amen.

"Glory [be] to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost. As it was in the beginning, is (and) now and ever shall be -- world without end. (always, and in the ages of ages). Amen."

Nooj

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

So it may have some sort of religious background?
Yeah it's from the NT. It might be a Hebraism (or Aramaicism) where you say X of Xes to emphasise greatness. So the Holy of Holies is an example.