Forever in my heart

A

Anonymous

Forever in my heart; may you live forever

Hey I would be grateful if anyone could help me translate a few things,

I know "Esto Perpetue" is "May you last forever" Could it also be may you live forever , or would that be something different?

Also, I want to write out "Forever in my heart" but can't get the right words to translate it exactly

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Iynx

Consularis

• Consularis

Forever in my heart might be

Semper in corde meo.

Esto perpetua ("Be thou perpetual") is, I believe, the motto, or at least a motto, of the State of Idaho. The thing addressed is taken to be feminine and singular. Masculine would be perpetuus, neuter perpetuum. This construction is in my opinion much to be preferred to the Esto perpetue which is found in many places on the Web.

Esto perpetuum is sometimes translated as "may it [rather than you] be everlasting", and indeed it can mean that. But such a third-person imperative is rare, and is characterized by Allen-&-Greenough (a well-known Latin grammar) as "antiquated or poetic" (Section 448a).

I think that the most straightforward way to say "May you live forever" would be to use what is called an optative subjunctive; there is room for argument, but I think that the present tense is wanted here:

Vivas in aeternum.

This speaks of a singular person; plural would be

Vivatis in aeternum.

Hope this helps.

A

Anonymous

Hi, I recently lost my wife to cancer. And have decided to tattoo some words that express my feelings for Her. Is it possible to translate "in my heart forever" to Latin?

Thx
Thomas

Andy

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

In meo corde aeternaliter
In my heart forever (you are)

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Just for reference, cor is literally "heart", but Romans generally used "pectus", literally chest, to describe the same concept. That's just the physical place where they placed the seat of emotions. Go figure. If you wanted to use pectus, you would substitute pectore for corde.

Also, I would use a prepositional phrase, such as in aeternum or in perpetuum, to convey "forever". Mainly because WORDS says that aeternaliter is "late uncommon".

Cato

Consularis

• Consularis

My deepest condolences on your loss. Although QmF has a point about in aeternum/perpetuum, and that aeternaliter is not a good word to use, having two in's here just seems stilted.

My suggestion is Semper in corde meo; Semper here means "always", and captures pretty well what you're trying to say. Pectore was often used by the poets to imply what we mean by the heart, but in such a short phrase I'd personally stick with the literal corde

A

Anonymous

Iynx dixit:
One way to say "always in my heart" would be:

Semper in corde meo.

Please accept our most sincere sympathy on your loss.
Thanks, I will use "Semper in corde meo"

Thanks
Thomas

A

Anonymous

Cato dixit:
My deepest condolences on your loss. Although QmF has a point about in aeternum/perpetuum, and that aeternaliter is not a good word to use, having two in's here just seems stilted.

My suggestion is Semper in corde meo; Semper here means "always", and captures pretty well what you're trying to say. Pectore was often used by the poets to imply what we mean by the heart, but in such a short phrase I'd personally stick with the literal corde
Thanks, I will use "Semper in corde meo"

Thanks
Thomas

A

Anonymous

I would like to have this translated, it's very important that it's correct, because i need to use it in a tribute to my mother who passed away recently. Thank you! :)

"Forever in my heart" & "Always on my mind"

/Dennis

skinnylizard77

perpetuo in (meo) animo
semper in (mea) mente

'semper' and 'perpetuo' are fairly interchangeble. The 'meo' and 'mea' are not necessary, although can be used for emphasis. 'animo' can also mean mind, but 'mente' is far more common, but theoretically you could have both meanings in a single phrase.

A

Anonymous

"You're always in my heart".

Hi!
I'm wondering what the translation is for "You're always in my heart". I've heard "In corde mihi semper es", "Es semper in corde meo", and "In corde meo semper es"... is there more than one way of saying it? :wondering:

Thanks!!!

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

Re: "You're always in my heart".

Of course there are many ways to translate it.
Here is mine (but note that I am a novice in translating):
Es in corde meo semper

Please wait for others to reply first

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

Re: "You're always in my heart".

I prefer in corde mihi semper es to in corde meo semper es, but both mean approximately the same thing. The other suggestions are okay, too, since Latin has very fluid word-order compared with English, but these two follow the most common order for classical Latin.

A

Anonymous

My father just passed away, and I would like to have an engraving done on his tomb, would anyone be able to tell me how you say: "Forever In My Heart" or "Forever In My Heart, Never Far From My Mind"
Many thanks and apologies for those who were upset about me posting on someone else's thread!

Shalimarlexia

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

Re: Forever...

Note that I am a novice in translating:
For "Forever in my heart:" In meo cordo in perpetuum
For "Forever in my heart, never far from my mind:" In meo cordo in perpetuum, numquam longe abest ab meo animo

Please wait for others to reply first

deudeditus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I'm sorry for your loss.

Iohannes Aurum dixit:
For "Forever in my heart:" In meo cordo in perpetuum
Corde, maybe.

Semper in corde (meo). - that would be "Always in my heart" rather than "forever." I think in aeternum is common as well.

"Never far from my mind," might also be numquam procul ab animo (meo), but I think procul ab might just mean away from.

I'm in the same boat as Iohannes. Wait for someone else to reply before setting it in stone.

B

Bitmap

this should go on the sticky

Semper mihi in corde as suggested by Imber is nice (short, to the point and looking idiomatic due to the dative :p)

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Just making sure and learning; is this type called the dative of reference? Do you know what the Latin term itself is?

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

Matthaeus dixit:
Just making sure and learning; is this type called the dative of reference? Do you know what the Latin term itself is?
Yes. Dativus realtionis or dativus commodi/incommodi (dative of advantage/disadvantage).