Fortune favors the brave

Chamaeleo

Re: clarification: "FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE"

As Matt has indicated, this question has been entirely answered before. If you still have points that need clarifying, ask on the thread in question. Creating a new thread reduplicates effort. Also, sending private messages about it is even worse.

danielc

Re: FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE. Help please

These posts certainly clarify most things for me however i have one final question for CHAMÆLEO regarding what he said as per below...

"Then there are modern conventions. We generally write in lower case; if we mark long vowels we do it consistently with the macron; we may make a u-v and i-j distinction; we may use ligatures on æ and œ in order to mark them as diphthongs, etc." quoted by CHAMÆLEO

1. FORTES FORTUNA IUVAT (being the "original" with no distinctions)

2. FORTES FORTVNA IVVAT (making ONLY the u-v distinction)

3. FORTES FORTVNA JVVAT (making BOTH the u-v and i-j distinction)

Am i correct in saying that you would either go for option 1 which is no distinctions or option 3 with both the u-v and i-j distinctions? As you dont see the point in only making one of the distinctions?

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

Personally, I use both "u" and "v", but not "j". But, I am just using them as training wheels right now, and I plan to drop them when I feel ready to.

But, with no distinctions, the quote would be: FORTES FORTVNA IVVAT.

With only the u-v distinction, it would be: FORTES FORTUNA IUVAT (since the first "V" in iuvat is a vowel, and the second is a consonant).

With both distinctions, it is: FORTES FORTUNA JUVAT.

Now I have a question for anyone who can answer me: what is the difference between "adiuvat" and "iuvat"?

danielc

Much appreciated Nick!!

Nick, you mentioned that "AUDENTES" means "brave/bold" and that "FORTES" means "strong".
From what i gather you are correct (herewith another reference to that): http://en.allexperts.com/q/Ancient-Lang ... ion-28.htm

However CHAMÆLEO mentions the following: "One thing is the vocabulary choice between ‘audācēs’ (‘bold’), ‘audentēs’ (‘daring’), ‘fortēs’ (‘brave’), all of which can optionally end in -īs instead of -ēs."

Could somebody help clarify which is which. ie: fortes and audentes?

Chamaeleo

What do you mean, ‘which is which’? I gave a definition of each. What more do you want? The words are largely synonymous here. And yes, ‘fortis’ can also mean ‘strong’.

It doesn’t really matter whether you make the u-v and i-j distinctions or not. However, I will say that it is utterly senseless to make one distinction but not the other. You’ll see lots of people doing so, but they are very sadly misguided. It just makes no kind of sense whatsoever.

The form that gives the most information to the reader is one such as ‘fortīs fortūna adjuvat’. Word boundaries are marked; long vowels are marked; semi-consonants are marked. I prefer this because you can take it and strip it down to ‘fortisfortunaadiuuat’ or whatever the hell you like, but if I gave you the latter, you would not be able to reconstruct the former without knowledge of the words involved. I give people the info. Do with it what you will.

If, for fun, you want to make it look like an inscription, then use all caps, don’t use U or J, don’t use spaces (use medial dots instead, or nothing), don’t use macrons (you can use apices if the vowel length seems really important to you), don’t use punctuation, etc.

In your PM to me, you said ‘I am having difficulty confirming which is the correct way to translate "FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE"’. This sort-of misses the point. It’s ‘fortune favours the brave’ that is the translation. Any of the various combinations and permutations mentioned in this thread can be considered to be the original from which this English translation derives. They are all correct, and were pretty much all attested in Classical Latin. Read above, and you’ll see that people like Cato and Cinefactus have specifically quoted the exact words used by certain authors, allowing you to choose exactly which variant you prefer. It’s pointless to ask which is ‘the right translation’ of your English phrase.

danielc

CHAMÆLEO and all,

Thank you for your assistance.

I am going to go for this version:

‘fortīs fortūna adjuvat’

last question is if i want medial dots in-between each word on above version would that still be correct?

I also have a much better understanding now.

Thanks to all - much appreciated -

:)

Chamaeleo

danielc dixit:
last question is if i want medial dots in-between each word on above version would that still be correct?
You can if you like, but I’ve only seen them used in classical inscriptions.

danielc

ok, i got it, that would go against my "theme" then...

fortīs fortūna adjuvat (no medial dots)

it is!

cheers m8 :)

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

danielc dixit:
Much appreciated Nick!!

Nick, you mentioned that "AUDENTES" means "brave/bold" and that "FORTES" means "strong".
From what i gather you are correct (herewith another reference to that): http://en.allexperts.com/q/Ancient-Lang ... ion-28.htm

However CHAMÆLEO mentions the following: "One thing is the vocabulary choice between ‘audācēs’ (‘bold’), ‘audentēs’ (‘daring’), ‘fortēs’ (‘brave’), all of which can optionally end in -īs instead of -ēs."

Could somebody help clarify which is which. ie: fortes and audentes?
From Lewis & Short:

• fortis, e adj.; strong, powerful

I. Physically (rare)

II Mentally strong, powerful, vigorous, firm, steadfast, stout, courageous, brave, manly, etc., answering to the Gr. ἀνδρεῖος (very freq. in all periods and sorts of composition).

The second meaning is predominant, especially with persons. There are other words in Latin to denote purely physical strength.

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

Nick dixit:
Now I have a question for anyone who can answer me: what is the difference between "adiuvat" and "iuvat"?
In this context there is no appreciable difference, as is borne out by the fact that both variants appear in manuscripts.

The only significant difference between the two words is that juvare has the additional (and older) meaning "to please, delight". So especially it is used impersonally with acc. + infin.: juvit me, tibi tuas litteras profuisse Cic. ad Fam. "It pleased me that your literary studies had profited you".

Adjuvo is never used this way.

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

Ah, okay. My textbook used it more for physical strength, and occasionally for mental strength. But, it was only a first year book, so I suppose it can be excused.

And thanks for clearing up the adivvo/ivvo thing for me.

danielc

Imber Ranae.
Thank you very much for your post on my question and the link you provided.
Much appreciated
:)

herbie

Re: english to latin translation for a tattoo

Just to forestall any unnecessary confusion, I should mention that the version given on Wikipedia, Fortis fortuna adiuvat, is simply a variant of the same quote Chamæleo provided. It's actually Fortīs fortūna adiuvat, with properly marked vowel length (as opposed to "fortis fortūna adiuvat", which would mean "brave fortune favors".)

Since it isn't customary to use macrons (the lines over vowels) in modern Latin texts, Chamæleo's version is actually preferable as it avoids any ambiguity. But if you do include the macrons, neither version is really preferable to the other.
Hi Imber Ranae,

I like the use of macron in "Fortīs fortūna adiuvat" and I am looking to get a tattoo the same on one side of my chest, on the other side I want "Omnia vincit amor" but wanted it in the same style with macrons if applicable.

Is my wording correct? and how is it worded with macrons?

Thanks very much for any help

Steve

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

No macrons are necessary in the second phrase, as they only mark long vowels. There are none in omnia vincit amor.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Also, macra are an artificial textbook thing rather than anything else, so you don't really need them in a tatoo or such things (at the time when people spoke Latin, they didn't exist - when they wanted to mark long vowels (which they often didn't), they used acute accents, and still nowadays in non-textbook Latin texts they are often not used) - but if you like it, nothing forbids. :)

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

when they wanted to mark long vowels (which they often didn't), they used acute accents
more precisely: apices (sing. apex). Yes, Romans knew how to pronounce their words so they usually didn't use those diacritical signs. It wasn't until the early medieval period, I think, that this use was developed. But I'm not sure, so don't quote me on that.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

It wasn't until the early medieval period, I think, that this use was developed. But I'm not sure, so don't quote me on that.
It happened already much earlier - some here in inscriptions dating of the republic (Rómulus, Rómam, annós...), but not quite systematic; in a same inscription some long vowels are marked, others not. It also happened thay they wrote long vowels as double, but I think the practice was not that wide-spread.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Ah, ok thanks. You know much about inscriptions, to be sure. ;)

Abbatiſſæ Scriptor

Senex

• Civis Illustris

The doubling of long vowels was an Old Latin practice, and died out before the Claſſical period. The use of apeces is Claſſical, but an proper apex is flatter than an acute accent and very much thinner. A macron , on the other hand, can be too eaſily confused with the vinculum used to mark an abbreviation.