From my ashes I am reborn

philo-sophie

Hello,

i would like to find a good motto about overcoming, i think the phoenix is a good symbol, since he "burns but never consume"
(though this motto has already been taken by the beer Grimbergen ("Ardet Nec Consumitur") so i would like to find something else (because beer doesn't really mean overcoming to me but more drowning in it).
it's about overcoming depression (wich is pretty much like hell, like burning alive, like the phoenix, and if he can build a new himself after that, maybe I can too.)
So i was thinking "From my ashes I am reborn", but i have no idea how it's said in latin. Or if you have an other idea wich chould illustrate this idea. Maybe "burned but never destroyed" (wich looks like the Grimbergen motto but could sound different so i don't think about beer each time i read it.)
I would like some kind of catch phrase to keep courage, in latin so i'm the only one to know what it means.

thanks very much in advance !
and sorry if my english is bad (i'm french)

Bestiola

Nequissima

• Civis Illustris

• Sacerdos Isidis

Well there is in Ovid
corpore de patrio parvum phoenica renasci (Metamorphoses, XV, l. 402) - "the small phoenix to be reborn from the father's body"

And in Tacitus (Annales, VI. 28)
patrium corpus inque Solis aram perferre atque adolere. - "to carry the father's body into the altar of the Sun and to cremate"

Or as it came previously on the forum:

E cineribus [et] ad astra [versus] - "out of the ashes and towards the stars"

philo-sophie

hi,

thank you for your answer.
from ovide and tacitus, i don't really like that they use the word "father". i like better the idea that the phoenix reborn from his own ashes, i really wish there were no father involve (sorry, daddy issues :/)

"out of the ashes and towards the stars" is a pretty image but it sounds like going towards the stars means it died. i don't want it to die -yet-, i would like it to survive/reborn/overcome first.

would you know the litteral translation for "From my ashes I am reborn" or "burned but never destroyed" ?

Bestiola

Nequissima

• Civis Illustris

• Sacerdos Isidis

"From my ashes I am reborn" - "Ex meis cineribus renascor", perhaps.

"Burned but never destroyed" - "Crematus/combustus/ustus sed numquam deletus (sum)"

But better wait for those more experienced than me.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

If female, change all the -us to -a.
Good suggestion, Brunhilda.

philo-sophie

do i use -us if it is neutral (male or female) ?

so "Ex meis cineribus (or cineriba) renascor" and
"combustus (or combusta) sed numquam deletus (or deleta)" ?

for "Burned but never destroyed" can't we say something like "Ardet Nec deletus" ?

if anyone as any other suggestion,

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

The first remains unchanged regardless of gender

Ex meis cineribus renascor

Manus Correctrix

QVAE CORRIGIT

• Civis Illustris

philo-sophie dixit:
do i use -us if it is neutral (male or female) ?
Yes, that would be fine.

philo-sophie dixit:
so "Ex meis cineribus (or cineriba) renascor" and
"combustus (or combusta) sed numquam deletus (or deleta)" ?
Only the words describing a person need to change for gender. Cineribus just happens to look like such a word, but its ending is really -ibus.

philo-sophie dixit:
for "Burned but never destroyed" can't we say something like "Ardet Nec deletus" ?
No, that’s nonsense.