From pain comes strength

Bobby

Hi, I would like this translated for the purposes of a tattoo. The pain I'm referring to is the mental pain of loss. Both love and loved ones, and the strength that allows you to endure and become better. I am male. I have checked some of the online translators and, as you have mentioned, they're all different, and probably wrong. I took Latin in high school but was barely able to survive one semester. Ironically, I'm still friends with my Latin teacher. And if he should ever see this tattoo on me, I want it to be correct.

Numarius

Well there are a couple of possibilities. The first, one can translate it just as you asked:
fortitudo e dolore venit
"strength comes from/out of pain"

But if you want to simplify it, one can just use:
fortitudo per dolorem
"Strength through pain"

You have probably seen this set up beforein sayings like pax per bellum, "peace through war".
Usually I prefer this set up, it's simple, straight forward and more poetic. But it's all up to you. If you have any further questions, please do ask.

D

Deleted member 13757

fortitudo e dolore venit

We can even say fortitudo dolore venit. Without the preposition e/ex. This is called "absolute of the way by which". A simple instrumental really, with verbs of motion sounds very pretty. by the way of pain / by pain comes the strength.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Or simply:

Fortitudo e dolore = strength from pain.
E dolore fortitudo = from pain strength.

srebis

Hello,

I'm looking for a proper translation, my Latin is REALLY out of use..

I'd wish the following sentence in Latin, maybe for a tattoo:
"From pain comes stength."

Is it something like "cum dolor vires"?

Thank you for your help.

Cheers srebis

Ignis Umbra

Ignis Aeternus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Please perform a search before posting, please.