Fully digitized version of Smith & Hall

Alatius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I am happy to be able to announce to you that there is now a fully digitized version of Smith and Hall's great English-Latin dictionary available at https://www.latinitium.com/smithhall

As you will see, the text, which was proofread by yours truly, has been supplied with clickable links between the various articles, which of course greatly speeds up browsing the dictionary, as well as links to the source texts at Perseus, which will come in handy when you want to double check the translation and learn more about the context where it appears. Enjoy!

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

I can find the page, but I can't find the dictionary. What am I doing wrong?

Alatius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Ah, there's a search bar right above the introduction. Hm, maybe we should make it stand out more.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

This is what I see
Screen Shot 2017-10-13 at 06.32.32 .png

But even if I put in words like mensa, amo, amare all I get is this:

Screen Shot 2017-10-13 at 06.33.02 .png

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Lol, I got confused in just the same way as you at first... This is an English-Latin dictionary, not Latin-English, so you must enter an English word, not a Latin one.

Alatius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

It's an English-Latin dictionary, so try with English words instead. ;) But you should also get suggestions in a drop-down menu while typing, which helps a lot to find the right word. Do you see it? Perhaps it doesn't work correctly in all browsers and platforms?

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Fantastic :) And I even found an expression that I was puzzling over the exact grammar of yesterday: cordi est

What if you made the prompt text: Enter English Search Word?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

But you should also get suggestions in a drop-down menu while typing, which helps a lot to find the right word. Do you see it?
I do. I just didn't notice it the first time, probably because I typed too quickly.

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

This thread should have received more attention, Alatius, it's an incredible feat of achievement! I have on my web just the PDF searchable version of this one... (which is a tiny bit better technically (speed, readibility) than the other (the third) one, the "bikelis" one, but not as good as this one you made!)

It's the best English-Latin dictionary there is... and digital.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

lol you mean *feat, Mr. Monkey. ;)

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

What do you mean by "plural"? "Feat" surely is singular.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I think he thought that the word was truly "feet", plural of "foot"...

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

Well, I simply knew the phrase "sounded" that way, so I wrote it, then later on I thought about the written form and it just made no sense (why "feet" and why in plural, lol), but I couldn't bother :p

But I suppose we're derailing the thread now...

Anbrutal Russicus

Can I just say that this being in digital format and having cross-linking to Lewis&Short is truly life-saving, and that I force it upon everyone who asks for an English-Latin dictionary as being by far the best one around in both quality and ease of use. Although I surely wish it would work at least 25% faster.

Alatius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Can I just say that this being in digital format and having cross-linking to Lewis&Short is truly life-saving, and that I force it upon everyone who asks for an English-Latin dictionary as being by far the best one around in both quality and ease of use. Although I surely wish it would work at least 25% faster.
I am happy to let you know that the dictionary page has gotten a much needed overhaul, and is now considerably faster. I have also combined several other dictionaries into one page: you can now search in both Smith & Hall and Lewis & Short at the same time, as well as in two treaties on Latin synonyms, by Döderlein and Ogilvie. (You can also specify that you only want to search in a subset of these, if you wish.) The new URL is https://www.latinitium.com/latin-dictionaries

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

It was already brilliant :)