Genealogy translation of subscript in 'Liber niger Scaccarii : nec non Wilhelmi Worcestrii...'

KenD

Good afternoon,

I am researching the name Vacca as part of my 'Veitch' family history and I have found this interesting subscript text relating to a 'Warnerus de Vacca', who is listed as a knight in the 'Black Book of the Exchequer' around 1186.

I would very much appreciate it if anyone could have a go at translating the text please. It looks like it is describing alternative names for 'Vacca' such as 'Wache' or 'Wach'? (which I know are alternative medieval versions of Veitch). This would really help in my research.

Thanks
Ken
Warnerus de Vacca in Liber Niger.jpg

Westcott

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I think the writer is treating de Vacca as a locative identifier rather than an inherited surname. I don't really understand the footnote, but I recognise Speed and Saxton as early mapmakers. The writer seems to have found a place called "The Fiathe" in Saxton, and I think he is saying that Speed rendered it as The Vache, "more correctly now called Vach". Then I think something along the lines of "Feache put in place of Feathe according to Saxton."

KenD

Many thanks Westcott - much appreciated.

There is indeed a place called 'The Vache' in Buckinghamshire where the'de la Vache' family took up residence, so this kind of makes some sense. Thank you.