General thoughts, elementary questions

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I'm not versed in Greek (as I'd like), so I won't quite discuss anything usually, but I'll have questions or commentaries, and I prefer not to open a new thread for each of them.

For the moment, I'm surprised to find out that what we usually call Venus de Milo is actually Venus of Mēlos... Αφροδίτη τῆς Μήλου.

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Ancient Greek ή is a long /i:/ in Modern Greek.

I know. What surprised me is that I never new this... (That the city is called Milos in modern Greek. Because it's a perfectly viable ancient Greek word, I mean, it could be a name with a iota.)

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

It's such a famous name! In Portuguese, Vênus de Milo is widely known as a name, even if the person doesn't know what it refers to. To change it to Vênus de Mêlos is pratically impossible. It's a "mistake" that will be perpetuated indefinitely... Even in English it's the Italian way of calling it, once it isn't even Milos, but Milo.

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

B

Bitmap

I know. What surprised me is that I never new this... (That the city is called Milos in modern Greek. Because it's a perfectly viable ancient Greek word, I mean, it could be a name with a iota.)

Well, that's the whole point. If it is called Milos now, it was probably spelt with an ή in Ancient Greek.

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Well, that's the whole point. If it is called Milos now, it was probably spelt with an ή in Ancient Greek.

It's still spelt with an eta. The eta is pronounced like the iota. But that's not the point. What bothers me is how we say it.

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I have a question: In Greek, Melius would be Μήλιος? (Is the diacritic right?)