God's Gift

A

Anonymous

My mother has a banner with photos of my sister and I and the words "God's Gift" above us.

Please help me translate the word into Latin. I have used online dictionaries and get different results.

Thanks you very much,

tony

Cato

Consularis

• Consularis

Nice work Andy. A slight aside: St. Augustine's son was named Adeodatus = A Deo Datus - "Given by God"

Andy

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Would you look at that...

I remember my piano teacher saying how Wolfgang Theophilus Mozart changed his name to Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, which basically means the same...

A

Anonymous

How would "Donum Dei" be pronounced?

Donum pronounced = Doe Numb?
Dei pronounced = Dee?

Thanks for your help!

Andy

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

do (o as in Spanish o, like ostrich) noom (rhymes with loom)

Dei is like day (Monday)

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Er, no. That's not correct Andy.

Donum: DOE-noom.

Dei: DAY-ee.

Ei is not a diphthong in Latin; it is in Greek.

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Precisely, hence the -ee.

Andy

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

quemquem me facis dixit:
Er, no. That's not correct Andy.

Donum: DOE-noom.

Dei: DAY-ee.

Ei is not a diphthong in Latin; it is in Greek.
No, no... apparently I didn't finish the post properly. The properties of properly making things sound Latin in English is quite annoying to me. Spanish helps so much.

I did, in fact, intend it this way. The correct post should have read: Day-ï, alas, I forgot the necessary ï.

To me, the way to pronounce this is quite simply: DO-NUM DE-I, with vowels a, e, i, o and u not ei, ee, ai, ou or iu.

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Well the other thing is that I'm pretty sure the o in donum is long (am I wrong?) If so it is not as in ostrich.

As for vowel sounds: technically Spanish is a bad comparison. It lacks vowel lengths, with all of its vowels being a fusion of the long and short vowels in Latin. Its o is reminiscent of the long o but has hints of the short o; the a, i and u are similar. The e is somewhat unique to Spanish.

Vilhelmus

quemquem me facis dixit:
Well the other thing is that I'm pretty sure the o in donum is long (am I wrong?) If so it is not as in ostrich.
Indeed, long "o" as in dōnāre, dōnō > dōnum.

A

Anonymous

Thanks to all that participated in my request. Got a little lesson out of it too! Enjoy the day everyone!

anth

gift of god

hi all .... i would be very grateful if someone could help me with the above translation, i have got

donum of dues

off an internet translator ...is that close?

thanks anth

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

"Of" is not a word that exists on its own in Latin (hence why the translator didn't change it) but rather is brought about by the ending attached to the noun. "Donum dei" is correct; "donum deo" is a bit odd but is correct in a different way ("gift from God").

anth

thanks for that - a friend has asked for this for a tattoo and he had got the translation form the internet.

out of interest would the name 'matthew' have any latin translation or is there a version of it.

if the translation was for 'matthew, gift of god' how would that be written??

thanks

LDV

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

latin version of matthew is: Matthaeus

matthew,gift of god.

Matthaeus, donum dei.

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

The name Matthew -- is it derived from Hebrew for "gift of God?"

blueletterbible has "mattath" for "gift."

The Greek version may be of interest here as well.

do^ron = gift
Theos = God, preserved in the name Theodore.

Eph 2:8 has Theou to do^ron. to is "the."