Good Greek grammar & dictionary

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

Interesting...

I had a compulsory Latin for the last 2 years in my secondary school, 2 hours a week (desperately little for me!! I studied a lot ahead :p), but I was in a type of class that focused more on languages (hence the compulsory Latin). There was also another class more focused on math/IT/physics and they had no Latin :)

LVXORD

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Just a quick question for Godmy. What's your preferred pronunciation for , and ? I tend to pronounce the iota as well as the long letter (e.g. η) so it sounds a little bit like οι or ει or αι.

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

Just a quick question for Godmy. What's your preferred pronunciation for , and ? I tend to pronounce the iota as well as the long letter (e.g. η) so it sounds a little bit like οι or ει or αι.
You can listen to my alphabet I have posted. Anyway: long vowel doesn't mean a diphtong.

If you perform a long vowel as something+j, that's not lengthening, but I know that this is an 'aspect' of pronunciations of these languages by many English speakers.
But there is no reason why "oi" should be a long "o" (no reason at all) or eta a dipthong "ei". They may be evolutionary connected but are far from sounding the same.

Here is a recording showing this in this order: ē ei ē ei, ō oi ō oi

Attachments