Google translate will ensure you fail in Latin

Dantius

Homo Sapiens
Staff member
With well-recognized quotes that have translations available pretty much everywhere, Google Translate will do fine because it probably just has them in a database. But it won't be able to do anything that's not a very famous quote.

Cinefactus

Censor
Staff member
No, it hasn't got any better...
Screen Shot 2018-06-23 at 09.07.50 .png

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
Well, decorum can mean "handsome", if applied to a man, but of course that won't always be the appropriate translation, and the machine, being unable to analyse context as a human would, will just often fail to adjust its translation to the context, as in the case of dulce et decorum est pro patria mori.

Hemo Rusticus

Low-life Scumbag
It's also a little unfair to enter a derived term (< decorus). I don't think anyone uses das Googlor as a morphological reference.

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius
I think you would be surprised by how much faith people put in it—or maybe you wouldn't :(
I cringe almost every time I see a tattoo in either any non-modern language or a modern language that doesn't use the Latin alphabet.

Most of the time, they're incorrect.

If those have a correct translation, I would praise them for doing the research.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
This isn't in Latin, but still demonstrates the ineptitude of Google Translate in a funny way.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
:D

Hemo Rusticus

Low-life Scumbag
Have your system set to Spanish, hey, overachiever?!
¿Qué piensas, güey?

Dantius

Homo Sapiens
Staff member
At 0:31 in this trailer, they use Google Translate to translate Latin. The Latin itself is a bit incorrect, but Google translates it correctly. Strangely, this is a phrase that Google actually does seem to get right (or as right as possible given the bad grammar) in real life.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima
:( You'd think that with the sorts of budgets available for such films, they could have actually checked with a Latinist to make sure that the Latin says what they wanted it to say.

I have to wonder whether they used some translation software (not GT, though, because it gives a different output) to do the initial translation from English to Latin.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
The Latin seems like it could be the output of a human being with some Latin notions though not enough to handle appositions properly.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
What's special (or wrong) about it?

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima
Not sure exactly. It just seems like a sort of cute/diplomatic way of saying "very basic/mediocre knowledge".