Greek Grammar

Alethian

• Patronus

I'm looking for a really good Greek grammar text. I don't mind older books (for instance, I use Bennett's 1912 Latin Grammar).

Any suggestions?

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Gooodwin - Greek Grammar
Smyth - Greek Grammar
Be careful of modern paperback reprints of these; they tend to fall to pieces in no time at all. You should be able to get the first one secondhand for not much money. There is a school edition (i.e. an abridged version) as well, if I remember rightly, but you'd be better with the standard version.

Alethian

• Patronus

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them out.

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

I check sometimes this, (edit retag) Alethian. Click on the right side on "sections" and then a nice named index will appear under it (and you can choose a topic).

Also on the right side (not the one on the top) is a search pertaining to this grammar book, write there for instance "aorist passive" and you get immediately a link to a place in the book, then click on the "More (number)" to see all the places.

Alethian

• Patronus

I check sometimes this, (edit retag) Alethian. Click on the right side on "sections" and then a nice named index will appear under it (and you can choose a topic).

Also on the right side (not the one on the top) is a search pertaining to this grammar book, write there for instance "aorist passive" and you get immediately a link to a place in the book, then click on the "More (number)" to see all the places.
Thanks. In case any of you haven't see this, check out this site for the Liddell & Scott.

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

Hmm... yes, I use everyday Liddell & Scott a lot.. there are lot of instancies of its electronic version now on the internet. I use it mostly via this program (but I'm not sure it is in there in the default, in the default there is for sure Lewis & Short... I have some extra packages there :p) + some other miracles it does ;)

All these miracles come ultimately usually from the Perseus Project that provides most of the data for free :)

Alethian

• Patronus

I just received Goodwin's Greek Grammar in the mail. It's very impressive - thanks for the recommendation. I'll keep my eyes open for the others.

Alethian

• Patronus

Ἆρα καλῶς οὖν μανθάνεις, ὦ φίλε; :)
καλως δη μανθανω, ω φιλε. 'Tones' (?) δ' ουκ εμαθον, μονον γαρ αναγιγνωσκειν μανθανω.

Alethian

• Patronus

Tones = ᾱ, ὰ, ά, ᾶ.

και ὠνομασαν: 'stresses', 'accents'.

οἱ Βυζαντιοι (sp? = 'Byzantine') Ἑλληνες αὐτους ἐποιησαν, το δε Ἑλληνικον ὀνομα οὐκ οἰδα.

γραφειν και μανθανειν πειρωμαι, ἀλλα το τελος πρωτον οὐκ εἰ. οὐ δ' εἰ τι λεξικον English-Ἑλληνικων ὀνοματων καλον! :mad: χρωμαι 'Pocket Oxford Classical Greek Dictionary'.

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Tones = ᾱ, ὰ, ά, ᾶ.
If by tone you mean pitch there are no markings for that.
There are 2 breathings (rough and smooth) and 3 accents: ὰ, ά, ᾶ
ᾱ, where marked thus, would simply mean a long alpha.

Alethian

• Patronus

If by tone you mean pitch there are no markings for that.
There are 2 breathings (rough and smooth) and 3 accents: ὰ, ά, ᾶ
ᾱ, where marked thus, would simply mean a long alpha.
Thanks. I might have said "tone" rather than "accent" due to my association of the markings with Chinese. I haven't paid them any heed in years.

LVXORD

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

λέγετε!