Greek New Testament

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Hi guys, I'm looking for another book recommendation -- I'd like to buy a hard copy of the Greek New Testament (I know it's online but I have this thing about actually picking up and flipping through a physical copy, particularly with books I know I'll read a lot...)

Can someone recommend an edition? Where might I be able to buy this?

Tagging Aurifex since he always seems to know this stuff ;)

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

I'm no expert, and never was, on the best edition(s) of the Greek Testament, and what is best for you would depend to some extent on what you want from it (e.g. bare text, interlinear, critical edition, wide margins for annotation etc.).

I own about six different editions, but I can only lay my hands on two of them at the moment:
This one
and
this one.
Of the others I know I've got a modernish critical edition, and an interlinear one, but I can't give you more details at present.

If I were buying a modern edition now, I'd probably go for this one. A friend, who was a scholar and writer on Early Christian matters, let me have a copy of the same publisher's edition of the Septuagint and it's a respected critical edition, as well as very nicely printed and bound to boot.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

I'm no expert, and never was, on the best edition(s) of the Greek Testament, and what is best for you would depend to some extent on what you want from it (e.g. bare text, interlinear, critical edition, wide margins for annotation etc.).
Hmmm, yes, I probably should have been more specific. Bare (and reliable) text is what I'm really going for. I hate interlinear editions because what I mostly want it for (at this stage) is reading Greek, and that will only prompt me to cheat. It's a bit early for a critical edition at this point, and I can't bear to write in any book (particularly the Bible) ;) so I don't need wide margins either.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

I own this, which I found in a bookshop in the mid '70s somewhere for $2.25. It replaced an even more battered copy that I'd found somewhere else, perhaps half a year earlier, for $0.75. That copy had, according to an inscription, belonged to Rolly Phillips, but she had likewise scrapped it in favour of a better edition. It certainly fulfills your requirements, and there must be a few more knocking around, but I'm not sure of the best places to hunt for them. (Haven't got a ruler to hand, but the height is less than the measure from wrist to end of middle finger.)

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I'd like to get both Ancient and New Testaments, along with the Vulgate as well. That is, if I ever get enough money to buy all the books I'd like to buy...

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

I'd like to get both Ancient and New Testaments, along with the Vulgate as well. That is, if I ever get enough money to buy all the books I'd like to buy...
The problem in the end becomes not having enough room for them. However big your house, or houses, your books can easily expand over time to fill the available space. Acquiring books then becomes only part of the game; getting rid of them becomes the other.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

At the moment there aren't thousands of books I'd like to acquire yet; I just have a couple, or say, perhaps a small dozen, in mind...

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

It's true that I already have some old ones that are taking some room (and I don't have a big house, let alone houses, lol), but I think I could easily enough get rid of those I'm not longer interested in.

Westcott

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Don't overlook my gt-gt-gfr's magnum opus - the Westcott and Hort "New Testament in the Original Greek".

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

The problem in the end becomes not having enough room for them. However big your house, or houses, your books can easily expand over time to fill the available space. Acquiring books then becomes only part of the game; getting rid of them becomes the other.
:( Tell me about it; one of the hardest parts (I daresay the hardest) of this summer's relocation to my new city was disposing of about half my book collection. I must have had at least 600 in my 1-bedroom apartment. I managed to persuade some friends to store a few boxes for me, and I shipped others, but there were sooooooooo many I had to just give away... :( :(

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

At the moment there aren't thousands of books I'd like to acquire yet; I just have a couple, or say, perhaps a small dozen, in mind...
A small dozen as opposed to...a large one? :p

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Actually perhaps it's a large one, after all. There's a comics series I had when I was little that I'd like to get again; if I count this, the "dozen" grows quite bigger.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

LOL, like a "baker's dozen", but a "reader's dozen" (maybe more like twenty or thirty or, heck, fifty...) :D

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

There's a comics series I had when I was little that I'd like to get again
Which one?

Also, I wonder if anyone's ever done a comic book series in Latin. If not, someone needs to rectify the situation immediately! :D

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis