Inspirational Höchsten Soldatentums

J.M

Greetings to all Latin D members,

Today I would like the phrase "Höchsten soldatentums" (Highest Soliderhood) to be translated into Modern Latin if possible,

Thanks
J.M

B

Bitmap

What are you translating that stuff for?

"Höchsten Soldatentums" is a genetivus qualitatis in German. I'm not sure how the Ancient Romans would have put it, but in Modern Latin it would be something like summae militiae disciplinae.

Reactions: J.M

J.M

Hello,

Thank you for your quick reply, I would personally like this phrase to be used as a motto or something similar or as a quote maybe, such as, "we provide the highest Soliderhood"

Thanks again,
J.M

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

Perhaps the context makes it clearer.

Es waren 300 Männer, meine Kameraden, Jahrtausende sind vergangen, und heute gilt dieser Kampf dort, dieses Opfer dort, so heroisch, so als Beispiel höchsten Soldatentums.

Herman Göring, in a comparison of Stalingrad to Thermopylae.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Well, I'm having second thoughts. Maybe it actually works if militiae is taken as a locative. I'm more used to seeing it together with domi, but the use of it alone doesn't seem unprecedented.

B

Bitmap

That sounds slightly odd to me, actually. It isn't grammatically wrong, but it may be better to use an adjective (militaris) instead of the noun militiae.
Well, I'm having second thoughts. Maybe it actually works if militiae is taken as a locative. I'm more used to seeing it together with domi, but the use of it alone doesn't seem unprecedented.

It sounds better if you use militaris.

J.M

Thank you all for your great help, It is certainly clear to me now,
J.M