Health and fitness

Godmy

A Monkey
Something new from my creative workshop :)

Upper chest exercise with a metallic chest expander and a barbell and 2 chairs, 2 pants belts ;p AT HOME (like, if there was per chance a pandemy and gyms were closed all around the world, you know, although that's very improbable...just sayin')

Last edited:

SpeedPocok5

ym I train, Lots of other guys and
Me update: deadlift 75kg - 117% of my bodyweight (but for 6-8 reps ;p ... there was still a lot in the tank)

This is awesome, @SpeedPocok5, congratulations for this strength (+50kg... or +40kg.. that's really awesome). Thanks for the videos too (I subscribed to your channel :) ). I used to do pull ups (or chinups) with added weight, currently, I do them without any additional weight (trying to get max reps, see where I get there before I add weight again).

The same with dips....

There's a tip for you how to progress: try to train more for muscle hypertrophy between the +40/+50kg tries (before you try them again). That means going with lower weight but all the way up to failure (as many reps as necessary). E.g. do the dips or pull ups for max reps at 3-4 sets without any weight... Do that maybe 1-2 twice a week, then e.g. every 14/21 days try the +40/+50kg lifts. In the meantime your muscles will grow a bit to make it possible for you to progress. How about the diet? Quality carbohydrates, calories, protein? ;)
Oh, thank you for your videos too, do you usually train at home? Now I have to train at home, the sad thing is that in home I only can train dips and maybe pull ups in the gas pipe of the roof.

I will try that! Now i'm a bit desmotivated but I always keep progressing.

I don't count what I eat, before coronavirus quarantine I ate a lot, I usually ate rice, eggs, lentils, meat, celery, basicaly quality and healthy food.

My wheight is 65 with 1,75cm, but I don't search aesthetics at all, my objective is the strenght.

Btw, I love your home trainings, you are so ingenious!

Godmy

A Monkey
Oh, thank you for your videos too, do you usually train at home? Now I have to train at home, the sad thing is that in home I only can train dips and maybe pull ups in the gas pipe of the roof.
Yeah, I've never been to a gym (but that's fine with me). I either train at home or at an outdoors workout area... So I've got what I need :)

I don't count what I eat, before coronavirus quarantine I ate a lot, I usually ate rice, eggs, lentils, meat, celery, basicaly quality and healthy food.
I see, sounds good!

My wheight is 65 with 1,75cm, but I don't search aesthetics at all, my objective is the strenght.
Right, well, you seem to be quite low in the body fat area, which is good (for you). Anyway, it's not always for aesthetics: the "pure" muscle hypertrophy trainings (the lighter weight but way more intense and longer) I talked about can help with the strength, since muscle size and strength will ultimately complement each other even though you can train more for one or more for the second. So, my advice I gave regarding that, will probably still apply to you too :) (or it may help you! Certainly if you get stuck...) And that's why I alternate the trainings too!

Btw, I love your home trainings, you are so ingenious!
Thanks very much ;)

Last edited:

Laurentius

Man of Culture
I wonder how the owners of the gym and soccer venues I usually go to will fare under all these new restrictions and forced inactivity. I hope our government finds a way to help them soon soon.

Godmy

A Monkey
I recommend strongly to any serious gym goers to start buying stuff to your home before your country faces some more serious lock down and everything sells out (or the prices skyrocket) and you realize you should have done that a long time ago.

I would begin with this (TRX) since, even though you're using just partial body weight, it is INCREDIBLY useful (similarly as a metallic chest expander) since it's very difficult to stabilize. (very useful for both chest and upper back, but triceps and biceps too. It takes ZERO space and can be even mounted at door (it's made thus). The pushups you can do on this feel like 2 times more difficult than normal pushups. (and due to the lack of the stability, they also feel a lot different than dips)

Then, of course, the metallic chest expander is so incredibly versatile (+ I can give you advice how to target any part with it) that it's almost a sine qua non in yours household (if you get 2 = the better). It can give you such resistence that you won't be able to overcome if you use all the springs, it's way way different than gravity exercises. It takes ZERO space! (if you are tall... 180+, consider buying one with bigger handles, so you can get your leg in a shoe through it comfortably too.

A set of adjustable dumbbells (e.g. 40kg total) is a good idea too and a barbell too (the bar alone; in the vertical position also takes no space - the bar that is). In case you're buying both, make sure they have the same diameter so you can reuse the plates.

(tagging @rothbard, @Adrian, @SpeedPocok5 ...)

Last edited:

Godmy

A Monkey
Another version: if you want to squat and have absolutely no rack at all (or an improvised one). This is 52kg... (that's about 70% of my near-maximum)

It's called Steinborn lift (Youtube) If you do the technique correctly (check the videos!) it is "quite easy" (certainly easier than clean & jerking the barbell behind your neck), but if you don't do it correctly, it can be dangerous. (but then, what squat is not dangerous) On the other hand, if you can do steinborn, you have an easy way how to put the barbell down in case you fail to squat up. Notice the the wide grip ^ (should probably be applied also on putting the barbell down though...). This was invented by a strongman Steinborn more than a century ago (he also had no rack...)

It helps to be a little bit proficient in the deadlift first for the initial phase... but only a little.

But don't hurt yourself!

(tagging @Laurentius, @Adrian, @Hawkwood ...)

Last edited:

Godmy

A Monkey
I really do believe that even children should master deadlifting in their PE classes - even if just little weights (20kg max), because you're gonna be deadlifting real life stuff for the reast of your life (e.g. lifting your children from the ground) and people just don't know how to lift things off the ground correctly, they bend their spine, their spine erectors are weak, they ask for an injury! They never trained a correct off-the-ground-lifting ;P I know it seems counterintuitive @Hawkwood, but deadlift really helped me health-wise the most in my life. I'm thankful for the day I decided to go for it! :D

Godmy

A Monkey
If it was up to me, I would remove all collective games (with a ball) from the PE classes, and 70-80% of the time dedicated to low-weight correct off-the-ground lifting technique! That's the best for the real life and most practical. And mainly in the old age you're gonna realize that.