Inspirational Hold your horses

J.M

Greetings to all Latin D members,

Today I would like the phrase on the thread title to be translated into Latin, or if it does not sound good that maybe there is another equivalent of this phrase in Latin,

All help is appreciated,
J.M

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

A literal translation of "hold your horses" certainly wouldn't have the idiomatic meaning in Latin that it does in English (i.e. "not so fast", "wait a moment").

My suggestion: Te frena or frenare = "bridle/curb yourself", i.e. "control yourself, rein yourself in".

J.M

Thank you for your assistance Callaina I will bear that in mind.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

A literal translation of "hold your horses" certainly wouldn't have the idiomatic meaning in Latin that it does in English (i.e. "not so fast", "wait a moment").

My suggestion: Te frena or frenare = "bridle/curb yourself", i.e. "control yourself, rein yourself in".
To be honest, that's a novel phrasing in Latin rather than an idiom like the English. I'm not sure what might most naturally have been said in Latin, though.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Yes, I wasn't trying to imply that it was idiomatic in the same way that "hold your horses" is -- simply that it conveyed the same sort of idea, and furthermore preserved some of the imagery (reining horses in).