Tattoo Honor and Justice

Tzarcan

Hi i was planing to take a tattoo saying Honor and justice in Latin
not sure of the words and grammar tho, the Phrase i came up with is

FIDES
et
AÈQUITAS

didden`t understand the grammer at the "and" part as it was many words to chose between
altso i read somewhere that honor mens the same at latin and english. and does fides mean something like promise, word of honor, trust, confidence, reliance, belief, faith.
anyway you understand what I`m after and can you transelate the Phrase for me.
sorry for bad English

// Thanks Daniel

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

"Fides" can mean honor in a sense, but the best word for honor might just be honor (which is also a word in Latin).

For "Justice" there is "iustitia", which can also be written as "justitia".

Using these words (there are other options, and I'm not sure that fides is out of the question), I would render it as either:

Honor et iustitia or Honor iustitiaque (the "-que" means "and", and is added to the last word in a list).

Tacitus Arctous

Fides is more like faith, honesty, trustworthiness. I think "honor" would be good here.
"Aequitas" is good here if justice is seen here through benevolence towards others.
I think "iustitia" is more bound to the law..

I would say: "Honor (honos) et aequitas (iustitia)"

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

Ah, I forgot to comment on "Aèquitas" - the "e" doen't need to be accented. In fact, it blends with the "a" when pronounced, as in "Æquitas", the "Æ" being pronounced like the word "eye".

As Tacitus said, aequitas will also work - I only offered iustitia as an alternative.

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

No problem - what you had already wasn't really wrong anyway - we just clarified it :)