HONORA MEDICUM OPERA EIUS SUNT NECESSARIA

A

Anonymous

hi! im jowee..i just want to ask for help in translating these sentences/phrases in english..it would really help me a lot.. :)

"HONORA MEDICUM OPERA EIUS SUNT NECESSARIA. DEUS AUTEM EST QUI VITAE ET MORTIS HUBET POTESTATEM"

"ARS LONGA, VITA BREVIS, OCCASIO FUGIT, EXPERIMENTUM PERICULOSUM, JUDICIUM DIFFICILE"

Hope you'll be able to help me..thanks

Cato

Consularis

• Consularis

Re: help..latin to english translation

jowee dixit:
"HONORA MEDICUM OPERA EIUS SUNT NECESSARIA. DEUS AUTEM EST QUI VITAE ET MORTIS HUBET POTESTATEM"
I think there are two minor errors in this sentence:

* There should be a comma, semicolon, or some such between MEDICUM and OPERA
* HUBET is an obvious misspelling for HABET.

With those changes, the translation is:

"Honor the physician; his works are necessary. However God is the one who has the power of live and death."

This seems to be a variation on Ecclesiastes 38:1 Honora medicum propter necessitatem etenim illum creavit Altissimus - "Honor the doctor on account of the need, since the Most High created him."

"ARS LONGA, VITA BREVIS, OCCASIO FUGIT, EXPERIMENTUM PERICULOSUM, JUDICIUM DIFFICILE"
This is a slight variation of a famous Latin aphorism, atrtibuted (I would guess in the original Greek) to the Greek physician Hippocrates

"Art is long, life is short, the opportunity flees, experiment is dangerous, judgement difficult."

I say it's a variation because fugit is often written as praeceps - "precipitous" in the quotations I've seen, but the sense is the same.

Iynx

Consularis

• Consularis

If anyone is looking here for a translation request ("eternally devoted") by trinartist, I have moved it to its own thread, as it seemed out of place here...

Iynx Censoria