Hot-Stove Latin II

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

transmittor has to be a synonym for "pitcher."
Ernie Harwell explained that the "battery" consisted of a receiver (catcher) and a transmitter (pitcher), although you never actually hear a pitcher called a transmitter.

I don't like "nefas" for "foul." It means "unspeakable," no? We need a word not quite so harsh.

It was the St. Louis Wolves that Who and What played for -- at least in the version I've seen.

Cato

Consularis

• Consularis

scrabblehack dixit:
I don't like "nefas" for "foul." It means "unspeakable," no? We need a word not quite so harsh.
This was one of the problems in the original thread. "Foul" when used to refer to baseballs is far less vile than in other English contexts ("foul language", "foul smell"). Other alternatives for "foul"--foedus, sordidus, obscenus, iniquus--didn't seem to have anything other than offensive usages (at least in classical times). The best we came up with was fas/nefas; although these words often have a religious significance, we did find references that used them playfully (e.g. the scire nefas in Horace's Ode I.11).

I'll agree it isn't a great choice, but we couldn't find anything better. I'd welcome some better ideas for any of the original terms.

WhiteLeo

Diaphanus dixit:
WhiteLeo dixit:
Carevesarii Milvauchia – Milwaukee Brewers
Perhaps better as Carevesarii Milvauchiae or Carevesarii Milvauchienses (with adjectival form).
Oops I missed that one. I will get that one changed. Thanks Diaphanus. :)

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

The seal of the University of Kansas is "Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis," so maybe the Royals should be "Regii Urbis Kansiensis" -- I'm not sure how the -polis would fit -- Kansipolis?

Also diamondbacks could be "Croteli." (taxonomy)

"Tigres" for "Tigers." (Also Tigrides?)

Iynx asked about the Blue Sox --
http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullp ... a_Blue_Sox

Diaphanus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

WhiteLeo dixit:
Oops I missed that one. I will get that one changed. Thanks Diaphanus. :)
You're welcome. I'm from Milwaukee, so I went straight for the name on the list when I first saw the list.

"Elulsores" should be Elusores.

Frankly, I would translate "Royals" as Regales, but if Beard already has Regii, then I also agree that there is nothing wrong with it.

Iynx dixit:
2. What about the St. Louis Browns? Fulvi, Rubidi, Fusci?. Brown is a hazy concept in classical Latin, and I think we may do better with the honest medieval Bruni (which has the added advantage of sounding something like the English "Brownies").
How about the Brunnei (brunneus -a -um)?

Iynx dixit:
4. And what about the once-great Grays (Homestead, or Providence)?
Caesii, Cani, Cineracei, Glauci, Ravi? I favor Cineracei-- but again, I am very open to other views.
I favor Cani because of its simplicity and its tendency to be productively used in derivatives (e.g. canescens, canities).

Iynx dixit:
6. At least as late as 1996 there existed a team, in the Class A Northwest League, with the almost unbelievably unfortunate desigation "The Everett AquaSox". Our choices here would appear to lie between Tibiales Subcaerulei and (to use yet another medieval term) Tibiales Azuri.
How about Aquitibiales Everettenses for "The Everett AquaSox"? Aquitibiales is of course just a compound of aqua and tibiales, and Everettenses is just a convenient way to Latin-adjective-ize the name Everett.

scrabblehack dixit:
The seal of the University of Kansas is "Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis," so maybe the Royals should be "Regii Urbis Kansiensis" -- I'm not sure how the -polis would fit -- Kansipolis?
If it is Kansiensis from Kansia (Cansia), then the name with -polis would be Kansiopolis (the stem vowel a becomes the connecting vowel o).

Look:
http://la.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansia

scrabblehack dixit:
Also diamondbacks could be "Croteli." (taxonomy)
I am pretty sure that should be Crotali.

scrabblehack dixit:
"Tigres" for "Tigers." (Also Tigrides?)
Both forms are fine, but while Tigres is shorter, Tigrides shows the d of the stem.

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

OK, how would you translate "Greensboro Bats?" They had a flying mammal and a baseball bat on their logo.
I understand they're the "Greensboro Grasshoppers" now.

WhiteLeo

This is how I would translate it.

"Vespertiliones Greensboronis" - Greensboro Bats
"Grilli Greensboronis" - Greensboro Grasshoppers.

Since Greensboro ends with an "o" use the third declension "onis".

That is just my thinking.

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

"Vespertilio" is indeed the flying mammal. But the nickname was a pun on the baseball bat and the flying mammal....Clavae vespertilionum?

WhiteLeo

Interesting.....I get the bun but don't know if it translates well into Latin.

What about "Volucrae Clavae Greensboronis"?

Diaphanus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Greensboro might actually be Latinized as Grensburgum, as in Grenovicum for Greenwich, and -burgum, the Latin version of the -boro family of endings (which also includes -burg). The adjective might as well be grensburgensis.

I think the Clavae Vespertilionum is clever, but it might not be as good as Vespertiliones Clavarum. They are metaphorically bats (animals) with bats (the instruments) rather than bats (the instruments) with bats (animals).

LacusCurtius

Batboy/girl: why not camillus/camilla? which was a very near equivalent in Roman religious rites — and if baseball isn't a religion, I dunno what is.

LacusCurtius

Not so keen on Sicago for Chicago even if, or (more accurately) precisely because, the marginal pun is good, low Latin pronunciation of Sic, caco. Chicago, unknown or at least vague derivation, one of the possibilities is "Place that stinks" (swamp with wild onions). Chicago (adj. Chicagoensis) is already in wide use.

OK, here's my review of the team names, FWIW. I've put all the placenames in adjectival forms (usually from Catholic diocesan names or from botanical usage), corrected one or two typos. One • : seem fine to me (as amended by later posters, sometimes); Two ••: my suggestion; ?'s: don't like, for various reasons, but can't come up with anything better yet.

• Nautae Seattlenses ← Seattle Mariners
• Indi Clevelandenses ← Cleveland Indians
? Makairae Floridenses ← Florida Marlins
•• Catuli Chicagoenses ← Chicago Cubs
? Mantae Tampae ← Tampa Bay Rays
? Salutarii Texani ← Texas Rangers
• Orioli Baltimorenses ← Baltimore Orioles
• Tibiales Albi Chicagoenses ← Chicago White Sox
? Senatores Vasintoniae ← Washington Senators
•• Regii Kansapolitani ← Kansas City Royals
•• Carevesarii Milwaukenses ← Milwaukee Brewers
•• Crotales Arizonenses ← Arizona Dimondbacks
• Elusores Angelopolitani ← Los Angeles Dodgers
• Astra Hustonienses ← Houston Astros
• Piratae Pittsburgienses ← Pittsburgh Pirates
•• Cardinales Ludovicenses ← St. Louis Cardinals
• Gemini Minnesotani ← Minnesota Twins
? Saxosi Colorati ← Colorado Rockies
• Ianki Noveboracenses ← New York Yankees
• Tibiales Rubri Bostonienses ← Boston Red Sox
• Gigantes Franciscopolitani ← San Francisco Giants
• Athletici Oaklandenses ← Oakland Athletics
•• Angelopolis Angeli Annaedomenses - Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
? Philadelphoe Philadelphici ← Philadelphia Phillies
• Metropolitani Noveboracenses ← New York Mets
? Nationales Vasintoniae ← Washington Nationals
• Fortes Atlantenses ← Atlanta Braves
? Rubri Cincinnati ← Cincinnati Reds
• Patres Didacopolitani ← San Diego Padres
•• Tigrides Detroitenses/Fretenses ← Detroit Tigers

Tampa is very careful to include St. Pete by adding "Bay": Sinotampenses sounds awfully Chinese, though.

If San Francisco and San Diego are just F…polis and D…polis, then for consistency St. Louis otter be L…polis?

Annaedomensis for Ana-heim on the model of so many Renaissance humanists and scientists (von Königsberg → Regiomontanus, Bergzabern → Tabernaemontanus, etc.); similarly Fretensis for a Detroiter, although Catholic usage is Detroitensis).

I really don't like Vasintonia, but Washingtonia is no better.

Cincinnati are a family of people, not a place?

Asfer my Tibiales' farm teams, who knows what to do with the Winston-Salem Dash.

I am very anxious to hear what others think about all this.
For what it's worth, I like dator a lot, acceptor only slightly less, receptor a bit less though still fine. I prefer acceptor to receptor because of ad-.

Agree with you completely on "shortstop". The notion, it seems to me, is of stopping a ball short before it gets to the outfield: surely there must be a word in Roman military jargon for that kind of function. I'm not a big war buff, so I have no idea what that might be.

I like statio more than anything else I've seen. It reminds me of its use in ancient astronomy.

*exvico is horrible, yes. ejicio??

And a loose idea for "starter", "starting…": primipilus, primipilaris ? These have a nice military connection to them, and the pil- root connects (quite improperly!) with baseball.

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

LacusCurtius, what about Toronto Blue Jays and Montreal Expos?

I am a Jays fan and I am curious. The original list left off the Canadian teams (though the Jays are the only ones still in Canada).

LacusCurtius

I am a Jays fan
Condolences — first things first. Ad rem: the Jays are a tough one! Etymologically, from Gaius; the simplest solution might be just Gaii. Not happy with that, but the best I can come up with after a day or two thinking about it. For the Expos, how 'bout Monstri?

LacusCurtius

The best we came up with was fas/nefas; although these words often have a religious significance, we did find references that used them playfully (e.g. the scire nefas in Horace's Ode I.11).

I'll agree it isn't a great choice, but we couldn't find anything better. I'd welcome some better ideas for any of the original terms.

When I read thru the original list, I thought this was terrific, one of the better ones! Fas/nefas not only describes the character of something, but in the calendar for example prescribes what one may and may not do: seems to fit perfectly.