hurt and heal

RockyV

Hey guys:

New member here, hoping I might be able to seek your insight on a translation.

I tried investigating this myself, but found so many differing and contradictory sources and definitions online that it became impossible to translate with any degree of confidence. The variance from one site to another, ironically, increased my interest in Latin as a language, and significantly strengthened my appreciation for those who actually have a grasp and command of it.

And the translation I was looking for?

Simply two words: “hurt” and “heal”

The context is the process of hurting and healing. Dealing with an emotional trauma, and learning to recover from it.

At the onset, I thought this would be a 30-second exercise, but the harder I tried to get a consensus on the two words would that would best express this in Latin, the muddier the picture became.

But of all the sites I sourced, this stood out as my best chance for clarity.

Appreciate any help you can provide!

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
Hi,

The problem with seemingly simple requests like yours is that they're grammatically vague, so it's hard to figure out what exactly is meant and how it should translate. A word like "hurt" or "heal" can fulfill many different grammatical roles in English, which would all translate differently in Latin; and if it is unclear which role they have here, you can't translate them with any confidence. Are the words to be taken as nouns or verbs? "Heal" certainly looks more like a verb, but then maybe you just meant to vaguely refer to the idea of healing, which might translate with a noun. But then again both words could possibly be taken as imperative verbs, telling someone to hurt and then heal—or perhaps you're implying something like "though you hurt, you'll heal"...

In any case, I'll move your thread to the right subforum (English-to-Latin translation).

RockyV

Hi,

The problem with seemingly simple requests like yours is that they're grammatically vague, so it's hard to figure out what exactly is meant and how it should translate. A word like "hurt" or "heal" can fulfill many different grammatical roles in English, which would all translate differently in Latin; and if it is unclear which role they have here, you can't translate them with any confidence. Are the words to be taken as nouns or verbs? "Heal" certainly looks more like a verb, but then maybe you just meant to vaguely refer to the idea of healing. But then again both words could possibly be taken as imperative verbs, telling someone to hurt and then heal—or perhaps you're implying something like "though you'll hurt, you'll heal"...

In any case, I'll move your thread to the right subforum (English-to-Latin translation).
thanks for the reply - I’d say both would be verbs.

hurt - as in, dealing with pain and emotional trauma

heal - as in, gradually recovering and getting back to health

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
Verbs, OK.

Now, what kinds of verbs? Are they commands, or statements implying "you'll hurt" and "you'll heal", or... If you were to make a complete sentence (or two sentences) with them, what would it be?

RockyV

Verbs, OK.

Now, what kinds of verbs? Are they commands, or statements implying "you'll hurt" and "you'll heal", or... If you were to make a complete sentence (or two sentences) with them, what would it be?
that actually captures the essence perfectly:

“you will hurt, you will heal.”

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
In that case I would say dolebis, sanaberis.