I am like God and God like me.

Retzy

I have been agonizing over this for 3 days!
It is a quote by the 17th C German poet, Angelus Silesius:

I am like God and God like me. I am as large as God, He is as small as I. He cannot above me, nor I beneath Him be.

I've tried every translator online, but I Need an expert!
Please help me out. I only have until Friday, the 24th.
Thanks so much,
-Retzy

B

Bitmap

Ich bin wie Gott, und Gott wie ich. Ich bin so groß wie Gott, er ist so klein wie ich. Er kann nicht über mir, und ich nicht unter ihm stehen.

socratidion

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Ah, the king of languages!

In the primitive tongue, however, it might come out as
ita ego ut deus, deus ut ego. ego tam magnus quam deus, ille tam parvus quam ego. neque ille potest supra esse, neque ego subter.

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

It seems to be Socratidion's style preference. Beyond that, it helps to directly emphasize ego and clash it with deus. The verb esse can often be understood without being expressed.

Compare to sum ut deus, deus ut ego - deus is repeated, but not ego, deemphasizing the speaker.

socratidion

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Yes, what Nikolaos says is right. 'ego' means 'I', and 'sum' just means 'am' with 'I' understood. You need the emphatic ego to bring out the comparison of 'I' with 'god'.

And yes, the omission of 'sum' whenever possible is a personal mannerism. I wouldn't do it in ordinary prose, but in this sort of situation it clears away unnecessary debris. ('potest esse' made it into the last limb, though!) You can have the sum back in if you want, after ego.

Retzy

I just want to say thank you for you all helping me with this translation. I would have been clueless without your input!
Socratidion, special thanks...seems to be, regarding the others comments, that that is the most appropriate translation (unless someone else has their 2 cents to throw in).
But thank you all!!!
-Pete

Retzy

Hi all!
I bought some more time for this translation;
(I am like God and God like me. I am as large as God, He is as small as I. He cannot above me, nor I beneath Him be.)
just trying to be sure it is the most suitable one. After all, it will be on my arm forever! ;) So Socratidion, Nikolaos...what do you think?
Incidentally, I've already learned so much (relatively speaking), I think I may take a Latin class at UNCC. It really is fascinating...
-P

Retzy

Your opinions, please...

I have been working on a German to English to Latin translation for weeks...
I wont write the "supposed" meaning - just would appreciate any feedback, as to your idea(s) on this...

Ita ego ut Deus, Deus ut ego. Ego tam magnus quam Deus, Ille tam parvus quam ego. Neque Ille potest supra esse, neque ego subter.

PS I realize that there is no TRUE interpretation in English... I just want it as close to true as possible.
Thanks...
-Pete

Manus Correctrix

QVAE CORRIGIT

• Civis Illustris

Re: Your opinions, please...

You have not been working on the translation. Socratidion worked out the translation.

Admins, please delete this cross-thread or merge it with its parent.

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

I'm sorry that your two last posts in this thread were left ignored. To answer your questions:

For the phrase originally requested, I fully endorse Socratidion's translation.

For the other phrase, I recommend starting a new thread. Additional requests within existing threads tend not to be noticed.

Retzy

Thank you Nikolaos...
And Cursor Nictans, OF COURSE Socratidion gave me the translation; that was meant to be understood...and I thank him and all others who contributed. It Truly means a lot to me!