I call upon glacial forces, behold their icy wrath

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

Ēlici[o-long:1xztyufn][/o-long:1xztyufn] vir[e-long:1xztyufn][/e-long:1xztyufn]s glacial[e-long:1xztyufn][/e-long:1xztyufn]s, ecce iram glacialem e[o-long:1xztyufn][/o-long:1xztyufn]rum

Please wait for others to reply first

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

Would "potentia" be better than "vis" for "force"?

Also, "eorum" could be omitted, if you wish...

paulmoore

Akela dixit:
Would "potentia" be better than "vis" for "force"?

Also, "eorum" could be omitted, if you wish...
What does the word eorum mean exactly?
Also, this might sound like another noob question, and it probably is. It seems that there are no major differences between the words glaciales and glacialem(please note that I could be wrong. I have been wrong before, and will be wrong again before I die!). Are there no other words that seperately signify the distinction, or because a glacier is made of ice the words end up being similar? Would the Latin translation for other similar words be similar to glacial-?? for things like frost, winter, ice sickle, snow, blizzard, freeze, etc?

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

paulmoore dixit:
Also, this might sound like another noob question, and it probably is. It seems that there are no major differences between the words glaciales and glacialem
Glaciales is plural, but glacialem is singular. But yes, no major differences.

Are there no other words that seperately signify the distinction, or because a glacier is made of ice the words end up being similar?
There might be, but I can't get to my dictionary right now. I'll check back in the morning.

Would the Latin translation for other similar words be similar to glacial-? for things like frost, winter, ice sickle, snow, blizzard, freeze, etc?
Well, I do know that to freeze is glaciare. but I don't know about the others... I'm pretty sure that frost is gelu, which means that there might be an adjective similar to it for a replacement.

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

Could we review the rules on ecce = "behold?" It's an interjection, although it looks like an imperative verb. We have things like Ecce homo (all 4 gospels), but then also Quid me quaeris? quid laboras? quid hunc sollicitas? ecce me. (Plautus).

B

Bitmap

it doesn't come from a verb though. the -ce is the same demonstrative suffix that can be found in demonstrative pronouns like hic, haec or illic (from hi-ce, hae-ce, illi-ce (which is also why illic is stressed on the last syllable). so ecce usuall takes a nominative ... or a full sentence. With the first person singular, it appears to take me, though, even with attributes (ecce me nullum senem is supposed to be found with Cicero somewhere) - I would consider that an accusative of exclamation though.

paulmoore

Nikolaos dixit:
paulmoore dixit:
Also, this might sound like another noob question, and it probably is. It seems that there are no major differences between the words glaciales and glacialem
Glaciales is plural, but glacialem is singular. But yes, no major differences.

Are there no other words that seperately signify the distinction, or because a glacier is made of ice the words end up being similar?
There might be, but I can't get to my dictionary right now. I'll check back in the morning.

Would the Latin translation for other similar words be similar to glacial-? for things like frost, winter, ice sickle, snow, blizzard, freeze, etc?
Well, I do know that to freeze is glaciare. but I don't know about the others... I'm pretty sure that frost is gelu, which means that there might be an adjective similar to it for a replacement.
Well, the main reason why I even know about the similarities is because I know of the song Oh Fortuna by Carl Orff. It's part of the Carmina Burana from what I gather. Anyways ther eis a line in that song that states 'Dissolvit ut glaciem'-It melts them like ice.

I am just haing a hard time wrapping my head around only 1 word for ice because I have 2 spells in particular for my book that will include ice, and I don't want to get people confused and think that they are the same spell because the Latin inscription might not have another word to draw from. One of them will be a wall of ice, and the second will be a projection or outward spewing of intense cold, similar to that of a blizzard or freezing mist. Do you think that my best bet will be to make 2 seperate posts for each of them?

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

One of them would probably be forgotten if posted here, so a new thread would probably be better.

Anyway, I found two more adjectives - gelidus and pruinosus (icy and frosty, respectively). Their forms depend on the structure of the final phrase. "Snow" is "nix". I can't find blizzard, but it's out there somewhere.

Also, I just realized that I didn't answer your question about "eorum" - it means "their".