I can't believe this is happening again

Athenian200

Okay, I'd like the following phrase translated into latin. I don't really want it to say the same thing literally, but to convey to the same idea, perhaps the way an ancient Roman might have said it.

This idea could be conveyed in English several ways:

I can't believe this is happening again.

I am surprised that this has occured again.

I did not expect this happening again.

I failed to anticipate the possibility that this event would recurr.

What would be the best way to convey this sentiment in Latin?

Iynx

Consularis

• Consularis

I think there are at least as many ways to express this in Latin as there are in English. One way might be:

Vix possum credere quod haec iterum accidit.

Literally: "Hardly can I believe that this (thing) is again happening".

Accidit, I think, weakly suggests that the thing that is happening is something undesired; if this is not so then evenit would probably be a better word.

One might suppose that credo should be followed here by ut and a subjunctive. I'm pretty sure that would be wrong. Has to be quod and, normally, the indicative.

I'm a little uncertain on the gender of the haec. I have it feminine in reference to an unexpressed res (= "event"). But I suppose it might be hic if one were thinking casus (= "eventuality") or hoc if one were referring to some earlier expressed clause or sentence (e. g. concremare domum meam).

Athenian200

As a matter of fact, I am implying that the thing that is happening again is undesired. That sounds good to me. Thank you very much for the translation.

I had only a vague idea of how tenses worked in Latin, so all I could come up with was something like:

Hoc reiterum insperatum.

Which really doesn't flow very well, does it? Plus, I don't know the correct word order or anything. Again, many thanks.