I have avenged you.

RRyan

"I have avenged you." With the context being that the speaker has killed the people who killed the person to whom he is speaking (all parties are male).

This is for a song lyric that honestly, will probably only be heard by a handful of people that likely wouldn't know if I was wrong, but I'll know. I thought this would be easy, but the irregular conjugation of "ulcisor" has proved too much for my long-atrophied high school Latin, and my inability to find any similar historical usage has left me wondering if it isn't the entirely wrong verb, or should I be using a gerund of some kind, or... basically I gave up, and now humbly seek the advice of those who have put in a lot more work than I have.

For my own edification, I'm also curious how far off I am with "Ego illis ultus pro tibi"? I mean, I know I'm not GOOD with Latin, but how bad am I? Feel free to laugh at my expense.

Thanks in advance.

Adrian

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I was thinking of: Te ultus sum - I have avenged you

"Ego illis ultus pro tibi" - that is wrong. you can say Illos interfeci tui ulciscendi causa - I have killed them to avenge you.

RRyan

Greatly appreciate it, both of you. Believe it or not, I started at "ultus sum" since it was the perfect indicative, but the more I tried to research it the more confused I got. There's no substitute for asking the right people. But hey, at least I had the right verb. I guess that's the best I can expect from a few semesters more than two decades ago.

Thank you again. I'd have abandoned the idea altogether without your help.