I know what I want, but God knows what I need.

aav900

"I know what I want, but God knows what I need".
"I," as in male subject. "Want," as in desire. "God," as in christian/catholic God.
The reason for this translation is for a tattoo. I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

There's something a bit similar to the second part in the Bible:

scit enim Pater vester, quibus opus sit vobis, antequam petatis eum.
for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.
Matt. 6.8.

If we draw inspiration from it:

Scio quae cupiam sed deus scit quibus opus sit mihi: I know what things I want but god knows what things I need.

Or if you still prefer it in singular:

Scio quid cupiam sed deus scit quid opus sit mihi: I know what I want but god knows what I need.

aav900

I have no knowledge in Latin, but wouldn't "deus" be capitalized?
Also, I believe the second translation fits my needs, because it doesn't talk about "things," but everything in general!
Thank you so much, I will wait and see what others have to say.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Listen to PP, she is an expert on quoting Latin literature.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

If you're going with modern punctuation/capitalization, you can capitalize it, yes.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Confirmed.

aav900

Let's say I want to split the quote in two parts, because it's too long. In english it will be

I know what I want,
but God knows what I need
How would I split the quote in Latin, but making sure it looks correct?
Thanks.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

then,
scio quae cupiam
sed deus scit quibus opus sit mihi

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I would rather leave it as if it would have been written in roman times. So?
Thank you Pacis!
In Roman times, there wouldn't even have been a capital letter at the start of the sentence. It would have been either all in small letters, or all in caps; with either all words strung together with no spaces, or with interpuncts between them. I don't know what kind of font you're going to choose?

In caps, like monumental style, U's become V's:

SCIO·QVID·CVPIAM·SED·DEVS·SCIT·QVID·OPVS·SIT·MIHI
SCIO·QVAE·CVPIAM·SED·DEVS·SCIT·QVIBVS·OPVS·SIT·MIHI

Or even:

SCIOQVIDCVPIAMSEDDEVSSCITQVIDOPVSSITMIHI
SCIOQVAECVPIAMSEDDEVSSCITQVIBVSOPVSSITMIHI

Yes, hard to read, lol.

In case you'd like more info on fonts etc. you can look at the link in my signature.

aav900

Capital letters with interpuncts (easier to read), early modern font with all U replaced with capital V; I think it looks more nice or more elegant, what do you think?. If I want it to look very elegant, nice, but at the same time readable and concise. Which font and style would you use?

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Times New Roman, no spaces, if you ask me.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Of course the option with interpuncts is more readable and I guess less weird/more elegant to modern eyes.

aav900

Perfect! How would Times New Roman, no spaces look like? And how would early modern font with all U replaced with capital V (with interpuncts) look like?

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

Also, I believe the second translation fits my needs, because it doesn't talk about "things," but everything in general!
Thank you so much, I will wait and see what others have to say.
You're getting caught up in the (overly literal) English translations, unfortunately. Both and neither (depending on how you look at it) Latin sentence speaks of "things". The only real difference is that the first uses a plural pronoun, the second a singular. If you want it to suggest that there's one thing in particular that you especially want and one thing in particular that God knows you especially need, use the version with quid, otherwise the one with quae and quibus is preferable, as it suggests everything in general that you want and need.

aav900

Imber Ranae. You just made me change my mind. Because, with this quote I'm not trying to say that I need something in particular, but the things in life that I will want eventually, which of course tend to be more than one. So, if I'm not wrong, the correct form that I will be looking at is :
SCIO·QVAE·CVPIAM·SED·DEVS·SCIT·QVIBVS·OPVS·SIT·MIHI
Yet again, I don't want to turn away from the original quote, but I guess it can be modified according to what you say. Eventually I will want more than one thing in life, so that is making reference to using the plural form you recomend.
Thanks!

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

In fact, the idea of "what", "this", etc, was not rarely - not always but depending on context - expressed in Latin with a plural, and can very often be translated into English with singluar "what" or "this", because since English has no neuter plural pronouns as Latin had, it uses only the singular, even if in fact it's about several things, rather than say "things" everywhere. The word "things" is not actually there in the Latin, but it's just like a plural "what"... Quid = what (singular); quae = what (plural, what "things"...).