I must not tell lies

A

Anonymous

I want the line "I must not tell lies" tranlated into latin, but I can't seem to find some of the words. Then best I can come up with is:

Ego _____ ____ (dissero/loquor) sophismata(?)

Also, I've been trying to translate "believe in truth alone" or "believe only in the truth" but the best I can come up with is:

Credo solus re vera.

Am I anywhere close? Can anyone help me out?

Iynx

Consularis

• Consularis

Re: Translation of line from HP

causte dixit:
I want the line "I must not tell lies" tranlated into latin, but I can't seem to find some of the words. Then best I can come up with is:

Ego _____ ____ (dissero/loquor) sophismata(?)

Also, I've been trying to translate "believe in truth alone" or "believe only in the truth" but the best I can come up with is:

Credo solus re vera.

Am I anywhere close? Can anyone help me out?
The second is easier; I would suggest

Crede solum in veritatem: "Believe only in the truth".

Crede here is the first imperative singular of your credo, solum is an adverb, and veritatem is the accusative singular of a noun meaning "truth".

I am interrupted at this point; I will try to get to your first question soon, if no one beats me to it.

Iynx

Consularis

• Consularis

I think I've learned quite a lot from trying to translate your first sentence. Let me go through my thought-process with you.

My first idea was that "I must not tell lies" would just be mihi non mentiendum est, that is, "it is not for me to lie". Then I wondered if this might not be read "it is not to be lied to me", that is, "I am not to be lied to?"

We might eliminate the deponent (mentior, "I lie") by a circumlocution, as mendacium dicere. (When I get confused, one of the first things I do is to try to dump any deponents that may be lurking about). But in this case it doesn't help: Mihi mendacia non dicendum is also ambiguous, or at least seems so to me.

I next thought to use a ponderous construction with necesse:

Mihi necesse est non mentiri: "To me it is necessary not to lie". But nuts. The word-order helped some, but the darned thing was still ambiguous.

How about an ut-clause? Necesse est ut non mentiar. Ah, finally clear: "necessary it is that I not lie". (Mentiar, not mentior, because it's subjunctive here).

Or we could use habeo with an infinitive: Habeo necesse non mentiri. "I have need not to lie".

I prefer the former, and my recommendation is:

Necesse est ut non mentiar.

Hope this helps.

A

Anonymous

Thank you for the translations. Obviously I was far off.

By the way, HP stands for Harry Potter :)

A

Anonymous

One more question about Necesse est ut non mentiar.

Does est ut imply "I" without actually using another word for it?

Iynx

Consularis

• Consularis

The "I" is here built into the verb, the mentiar, not the est. Mentiar is specifically the first-person singular form of "to lie" in the tense, mood, and voice that is wanted here.

When, in Latin, the subject of a sentence is a personal pronoun ("I", "thou", "he", "she", "it", "we", "you", "ye", "they") it is usually not expressed as a separate word; the idea of the subject is conveyed entirely by the verb-form. It is possible to state such a pronoun separately, but to do so places considerable emphasis on the subject-- puts it in italics, so to speak.

Mentior ("I lie"), as I mentioned, is a special kind of verb called a deponent, which can be confusing to beginners-- OK, sometimes to non-beginners as well. So for purposes of illustration, let us (as is traditional) use the simpler amo ("I love"):

amo = I love
amas = thou lovest (you (singular) love)
amat = he /she /it loveth (love)

amamus = we love
amatis = you (plural) love
amant = they love

The same kind of thing applies in other tenses, voices and moods. For example:

amavi = I have loved
amavisti = thou hast loved, you have loved
amavit = he /she /it hath loved (have loved)

amavimus = we have loved
amavistis = you have loved
amaverunt = they have loved.

The Latin pronoun equivalent to "I" is ego. But to say ego amo rather than just plain amo would be like saying: "It is I who love", or "I (and not some other) love".

In the same way the "I" is "built into" our mentiar. OK?

A

Anonymous

Oh, okay. Thanks. They do that in Spanish as well (being the only other language I've studied formally). Took my a bit to wrap my head around conjugating words by changing the ending.

Thanks again :)