Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I take triginta with capitum too.

Lysandra

Canis

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Credo ego (vobis/vestrum/vos), iudices, mirari, quid sit, quod, cum tot summi oratores hominesque nobilissimi (sedere/sedeant/sedebunt), ego potissimum (surrexissem/surrexisse/surrexerim), is, qui neque (aetate/aetatis/aetatem) neque (ingenio/ingeni/ingenium) neque (auctoritate/auctoritatis/auctoritatem) sim cum his, qui sedeant, comparandus. Omnes hi, (qui/quibus/quos) videtis adesse (in/propter/quod) hac causa, iniuriam novo scelere (conflare/conflatam/conflo) putant oportere defendi, (defendunt/defendant/defendere) ipsi propter iniquitatem temporum non audent. Ita fit, (ut/quod/quales) adsint propterea, quod officium sequuntur, taceant autem (idcirco/ut/quamquam), quia periculum vitant. [2] Quid ergo? Audacissimus ego (omnibus/omnis/ex omnibus)? Minime. An (tanto/tantum/tanti) officiosior quam ceteri? Ne (istius/iste/istud) quidem laudis ita sum cupidus, ut aliis eam praereptam (velim/volo/voluissem). Quae me igitur res praeter ceteros (impulerit/impellet/impulit), ut (causa/causam/causae) Sex. Rosci reciperem? Quia, si qui istorum dixisset, (qui/quorum/quos) videtis adesse, in quibus summa auctoritas est atque amplitudo, si verbum de re publica fecisset, id, quod in hac causa (fit/fieri/fiet) necesse est, multo plura dixisse, quam (dixisset/dixerit/diceret), putaretur. [3] Ego autem si (omnes/omnia/omnem), quae dicenda sunt, libere dixero, nequaquam tamen similiter oratio mea exire atque in volgus emanare poterit. Deinde quod ceterorum neque dictum (obscurum/obscuros/obscuri) potest esse (prae/propter/ex) nobilitatem et amplitudinem neque temere dicto concedi (prae/propter/ex) aetatem et prudentiam. Ego si (quem/quid/autem) liberius dixero, vel occultum esse (minime/propterea/neque), quod nondum ad rem publicam accessi, vel (ignoscere/ignosci/ignoscant) adulescentiae meae poterit; tametsi non modo (ignoscere/ignotae/ignoscendi) ratio verum etiam (cognoscere/cognitae/cognoscendi) consuetudo iam de civitate sublata est.

I might need to work on sequence of tenses.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Mostly well done, but you got a few ones wrong:

Credo ego (vobis/vestrum/vos), iudices, mirari, quid sit, quod, cum tot summi oratores hominesque nobilissimi (sedere/sedeant/sedebunt), ego potissimum (surrexissem — Doesn't fit the sequence of tenses/surrexisse/surrexerim), is, qui neque (aetate/aetatis/aetatem) neque (ingenio/ingeni/ingenium) neque (auctoritate/auctoritatis/auctoritatem) sim cum his, qui sedeant, comparandus. Omnes hi, (qui/quibus/quos) videtis adesse (in/propter/quod) hac causa, iniuriam novo scelere (conflare/conflatam/conflo) putant oportere defendi, (defendunt/defendant/defendere) ipsi propter iniquitatem temporum non audent. Ita fit, (ut/quod/quales) adsint propterea, quod officium sequuntur, taceant autem (idcirco/ut/quamquam), quia periculum vitant. [2] Quid ergo? Audacissimus ego (omnibus/omnis/ex omnibus)? Minime. An (tanto/tantum — That wouldn't be totally impossible, I suppose, but it doesn's fit quite as neatly as another option/tanti) officiosior quam ceteri? Ne (istius/iste/istud) quidem laudis ita sum cupidus, ut aliis eam praereptam (velim/volo/voluissem). Quae me igitur res praeter ceteros (impulerit/impellet/impulit), ut (causa/causam/causae) Sex. Rosci reciperem? Quia, si qui istorum dixisset, (qui/quorum/quos) videtis adesse, in quibus summa auctoritas est atque amplitudo, si verbum de re publica fecisset, id, quod in hac causa (fit/fieri/fiet) necesse est, multo plura dixisse, quam (dixisset/dixerit/diceret), putaretur. [3] Ego autem si (omnes/omnia/omnem), quae dicenda sunt, libere dixero, nequaquam tamen similiter oratio mea exire atque in volgus emanare poterit. Deinde quod ceterorum neque dictum (obscurum/obscuros/obscuri) potest esse (prae/propter/ex) nobilitatem et amplitudinem neque temere dicto concedi (prae/propter/ex) aetatem et prudentiam. Ego si (quem/quid/autem) liberius dixero, vel occultum esse (minime — Doesn't make much sense in the context/propterea/neque), quod nondum ad rem publicam accessi, vel (ignoscere — Who would be the subject of this ignoscere?/ignosci/ignoscant) adulescentiae meae poterit; tametsi non modo (ignoscere — An infinitive modifying attributively a noun like ratio would be unusual in classical prose. Not very likely in Cicero./ignotae/ignoscendi) ratio verum etiam (cognoscere — Same goes here as with ratio./cognitae/cognoscendi) consuetudo iam de civitate sublata est.

Lysandra

Canis

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Hi Pacifica! Thank you for the corrections. I'm very sorry I didn't have a chance to reply sooner. I took my exam today and felt happy with my overall performance although I am second-guessing myself on a few minor points. However, I should be relieved that my last sit-down exam for my undergraduate degree is over! I just want to say thank you very, very much for all the help you and all the others have provided me over the years. If I hadn't had the opportunity to participate on LatinD and in the Latin Skype groups, I would be nowhere near as passionate about Latin as I am now nor would have performed as well as I have. Even though I am continuing on to postgraduate work in International Relations not Latin, I plan to stay on the forum and further my Latin knowledge. I am also going to speak to my instructor about allowing me to become a peer tutor for first-year Latin students at my university which would be a great way for me to keep practicing!

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

You're welcome, Lysandra, and congrats on your exam. I do hope you stick around. :)

B

Bitmap

International Relations is supposed to be a really tough course of study. At least I know that a friend of mine considered studying it (some 16 years ago) ... you had to have a really good grade average for that (which he did, but he decided against it in the end).
I think the currently strongest female chess player in the world, Hou Yifan, is studying IR at Oxford (sorry for that random piece of trivia :p).

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

I think the currently strongest female chess player in the world, Hou Yifan, is studying IR at Oxford (sorry for that random piece of trivia :p).
You're clearly not that sorry, since you still posted it :D

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

I never helped, but that after-exam message was pretty touching.

B

Bitmap

I have my very last Latin exam (well, at least for my undergraduate degree) on June 10th. Would anyone willing to provide me with a few practice sentences? The exam passages will come from the Aeneid and one of Cicero's speeches. I promise this is really the last time I'll beg you guys for grammar practice. :D
How did your exam go?

Lysandra

Canis

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

How did your exam go?
I haven't received the results yet. They'll be released on July 10th. I received a really good grade in the class I was worried about so, of course, rather than disappearing my anxiety has simply transferred to my Latin class. I am second-guessing everything and having nightmares about it.

Philip Franz Seitz

IMO, flūmen rather than rīvus for ‘river’, as the latter means ‘stream’ and the cited English word was river, though the sentence with ad rīvum totally makes sense. In the classical texts with which I am familiar (e.g. Caesar), flūmen is by far the more common word.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

IMO, flūmen rather than rīvus for ‘river’, as the latter means ‘stream’ and the cited English word was river, though the sentence with ad rīvum totally makes sense. In the classical texts with which I am familiar (e.g. Caesar), flūmen is by far the more common word.
'Twould help if you quoted what post you're referring to, since rivum doesn't seem to be anywhere else on this page of the thread.

AoM

nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris

First page, it seems.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

Hmm.

Philip Franz Seitz

Thanks. My first post and already a problem! I will study how to quote text in my replies.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

If you click on Reply (bottom right) in the post you're replying to, the text is quoted automatically.