Inspirational I own myself

J.M

Greetings,
Today I would like the phrase "I own myself" or as the Gaelic would say "Tha mi leam fhìn" (Issacus knowns what I'm talking about) to be translated into Modern Latin if possible,
Thank you as always,
J.M

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Sum meus.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Oh, like that? Ok, more like Ego meorum solus sum meus amicus.

B

Bitmap

Greetings,
Today I would like the phrase "I own myself" or as the Gaelic would say "Tha mi leam fhìn" (Issacus knowns what I'm talking about) to be translated into Modern Latin if possible,
Thank you as always,
J.M
By Modern Latin, do you mean the internet meaning of "self-owned"? :D

Reactions: J.M

Gregorius Textor

Animal rationale

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Greetings,
Thank you as always,
J.M
Maybe this is a bit indirect, but what about Līber sum? I have in mind the contrast, more apparent in ancient times, with servus, who is owned by another. I, too, am unsure what you mean by "Modern Latin."

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Maybe this is a bit indirect, but what about Līber sum?
I'm free? It works. But I gave different things because "Tha mi leam fhìn" is like "I'm alone."
I have in mind the contrast, more apparent in ancient times, with servus, who is owned by another.
I agree.

I, too, am unsure what you mean by "Modern Latin."
Contemporary/Neo-Latin, I think- just like Classical, but with neologisms and newer things.

Gregorius Textor

Animal rationale

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

I'm free? It works. But I gave different things because "Tha mi leam fhìn" is like "I'm alone."

I would never have guessed that, since I don't know Gaelic and, in English, "I'm alone" is very different from "I own myself." But in that case, how about "sōlus sum"?

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Solus sum is good for that, but I'm not sure if J.M wants "I'm alone" or "I own myself" really, so it's up to presence I suppose.

Reactions: J.M

Gregorius Textor

Animal rationale

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Oh, sorry, Issachus, you already said something like that but with more words:

Ego meorum solus sum meus amicus.

But what is the function of meorum here? I see it as the genitive plural of meus, but how does it fit in?
"I ... alone am my friend"? I don't see a plural noun to which meorum could apply.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Oh, sorry, Issachus, you already said something like that but with more words...
But what is the function of meorum here? I see it as the genitive plural of meus, but how does it fit in?
"I ... alone am my friend"? I don't see a plural noun to which meorum could apply.

It's a direct quote from Terence, commonly translated as "I myself am the only friend I have." Literally speaking, I suppose it's "Of mine (gen. pl.) I am the only friend."

Gregorius Textor

Animal rationale

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

It's a direct quote from Terence, commonly translated as "I myself am the only friend I have." Literally speaking, I suppose it's "Of mine (gen. pl.) I am the only friend."
I see. Sort of. I was wondering "of mine what?" Maybe "of mine friends"? Could it be a genitive of the whole, meaning something like "Among my friends, I am the only one"? But I suppose we can leave the "what" as something indefinite, if necessary.

Or maybe it refers to something in the previous sentence?

Ah! Is this the passage? (Phormio, Actus IV, lines 585-7)
vereorque ne uxor aliqua hoc resciscat mea: 585
quod si fit, ut me excutiam atque egrediar domo
id restat; nam ego meorum solu' sum meus.
Since he's just been referring to his wife, I think I would translate that last part as "for I among my family I alone am mine (or I alone am my friend)."

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

I agree.

J.M

Greetings,
Both translations are of great use and help,
Thank you,
J.M