I would like to name my daughter

A

Anonymous

Hi I would like to name my coming daughter Auratus, so my question is would there be any thing I should be aware of before doing this. Any famous person with this name who has a particularly bad reputation(would not want to name my kid Caligula).

Also is the ending ok for a name and that of a female?

deudeditus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

well the only thing I can see is that it should be Aurata, or else it would be a boy's name.

-Jon

Cicero

As mentioned above, the name of a girl should be 'Aurata' as such I did a quick wikipedia search and thought that you should be aware that 'Aurata' shows up in some animal latin names such as Cetonia aurata and The African Golden Cat otherwise no famous people named Aurata come to mind or can be found.

In ancient Rome girls got the short end of the stick. Usually they were named with the feminine name of their father, so Julius Caesar's daughter was Julia. If they had any more daughters they would then be identified by number, Prima, Secunda, Tertia... Octavia.

-- Cicero

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies, I will name here Aurata then. Is there some way I could determine the correct pronounciation of her name.

Iynx

Consularis

• Consularis

In my opinion:

I. If we take Aurata ("The Golden One") to be a Latin word, then

a. Because the a in the middle is long, its syllable takes the stress. It is pronounced about like the "a" in the English "father".

b. The a at the end, in contrast, is short, and much more clipped, something like the vowel sound in the English "pot".

c. The initial au is a diphthong, prounouced about like the "ou" in the English "house".

d. Authorities maintain that the Latin r should to some extent be rolled or trilled. This is, however, widely neglected, especially in ecclesiastical Latin.

e. Authorities also maintain that the Latin t should be "crisper" or "less aspirate" than the English equivalent, but this very fine distinction is almost univerally neglected by native Anglophones.

Putting it together, we might represent the word as

ow-RRAH-ta

II. If on the other hand, we take Aurata to be an English word, then the initial diphthong is, as you know, usually pronounced more like AW than like the Latin OW, as in "auricle" . The stress is in the same place, and the r unrolled:

aw-RAH-ta

Hope this helps.