Ideas for memes (Whatsapp Roman stickers)

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Latine disce.
It doesn't make sense... :think: I thought of Latinum as in sermonem Latinum... Latine means "in Latin", as an adverb, right? Lewis & Short give Latino for in Latin, and they don't have Latine (in Perseus)... My doubt is more toward Latinitas, but I'm not sure if "Latinitatem discere" makes sense. However, perhaps I should use "et sermonem Latinum disce", not suppressing the sermo.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Well, you use Latin for “in Latin”, like loquor latine.

B

Bitmap

It doesn't make sense... :think: I thought of Latinum as in sermonem Latinum... Latine means "in Latin", as an adverb, right?
Latine is the adverb of Latinus, -a, -um and "to learn Latin" is Latine discere, just like "to teach Latin" is Latine docere, "to know Latin" is Latine scire and "to translate into Latin" is Latine vertere.

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Maybe short for Latine loqui discere/docere... This does make sense. :think: So,
aequam serva mentem et Latine disce
would be the final expression.

B

Bitmap

Theoretically, it should be possible to say "linguam Latinam discere" or "sermonem Latinum discere", but it would be unnecessarily long and I can't find any examples of discere with linguam or sermonem, either.

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Well, you use Latin for “in Latin”, like loquor latine.
I always took "Latine loqui" as an idiomatic way to say it. In Portuguese it is possible to say "falar em português" ('em português' being the adverb), though the idiomatic way to say "to speak/to learn Portuguese" in Portuguese would be "falar/aprender português". But the "Latine scire" and the "Latine vertere" that Bitmap mentioned changed my perspective...

Last edited:

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

This cannot be despised! :D

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I think I'll do both. :think:

aequam serva mentem et Latine disce
&
aequam serva mentem et linguam disce Latinam

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Okay, now.. How would you say:
"I hate mondays",
in Latin idiom?

(Or, let's say, for an example: "I hate non-feriales" (?)... Does this make sense?)

Last edited:

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

What would you have Sol (or Helios) to say as a greeting?

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Did you mean "What would you say to Sol (or Helios) as a greeting?" rather than "What would you have Sol (or Helios) say as a greeting?"
Both will do. First I though of him saying something. But then...

I also thought about a dialogue: "Hey, Helios! Where are you going?" Helios: "You know, same old, same old..."
I just don't have any idea of how a Roman would say "same old, same old"...

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris