Ideo, idcirco, eo consilio

This is from the Greenough & Allen grammar. When he say the word 'conjunction' I'm not quite sure what he's referring to. I think what he means is like in English you can say: 'though x is true, y is true' but you can also put in another word in the apodosis and say 'though x is true, y is also true.' Here 'also' is redundant, just like below "ideo" is redundant.

Pure Clauses of Purpose, with ut ( utī ) or nē ( ut nē ), express the purpose of the main verb in the form of a modifying clause:—
1. “ab arātrō abdūxērunt Cincinnātum, utdictātor esset” (Fin. 2.12) , they brought Cincinnatus from the plough that he might be dictator.
2. “ut sint auxiliō suīs, subsistunt ” (B. C. 1.80) , they halt in order to support (be an aid to) their own men.
3. nē mīlitēs oppidum inrumperent, portās obstruit (id. 1.27), he barricaded the gates, in order that the soldiers might not break into the town.
4. scālās parārī iubet,nē quam facultātem dīmittat (id. 1.28), he orders scalingladders to be got ready, in order not to let slip any opportunity.
5. “ut nē sit impūne ” (Mil. 31) , that it be not with impunity.

Note 1.--Sometimes the **conjunction** has a correlative ( ideō , idcircō , eō cōnsiliō , etc.) in the main clause (cf. § 561. a):—
1. lēgum idcircō servī sumus,ut līberī sīmus (Clu 146), for this reason we are subject to the laws, that we may be free.
2. cōpiās trānsdūxit eō cōnsiliō, utcastellum expūgnāret (cf. B. G. 2.9), he led the troops across with this design—to storm the fort.

Bestiola

Nequissima

• Civis Illustris

• Sacerdos Isidis

"Conjunction" in this case is ut (uti) or ne in the modifying clause, and they may be paired with ideō, idcircō, eō cōnsiliō etc in the main clause.

Last edited:
Thanks, I appreciate that. I know what was confusing me, I think of 'ut' as a particle not a conjunction.