Impermanence

lolakins

hello its me,lola back, i have been in hospital for a while as not been too good so not had a chance to go on line. these of the translatons i wanted are ; 'impermanece' and also 'all in this life is impermanent',hope you are all doing well at this thing called life and thanks for your help.
love lola x
p.s i told my dad about your forum...think you might get a new member!

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

I am not ignoring you, I'm just trying ot think of a good word for impermanence.

Edit: omnia temporaria - everything is temporary/impermanent

inconstantia - changeability, fickleness
mutabilitas (or vertibilitas) - changeability, inconsancy

What do you think?

lolakins

hello thnks for your message and help with the translation,that seems really good snd i do appreciate it.
i looked at some translations in sandskrit but i got into a dictionary which was sandskrit - english and extremely long so i havent managed to concentrate enough to make my way through the whole thing! and it is long!!!
i have been in hospital,to be honest for getting really depressed,so i am still having a difficult time now i am out,just trying to get back into the 'real' world. i did meet a new friend in there which is one good thing,i just always wish i could do more to help other people.
anyway less about me,hope you ae haqving a good day and thanks for your help x :)

lolakins

hi again
i had a look on some different sites about english to latin translations,just as a matter of interest but i could not find the word omnia and the word for temporary was spelt 'temporarius'.i wondered if it was because of the context its in???do you not need a word for is, as in 'everything is imperminent'? not doubting you at all just checking it out to be sue.
hope your having a good day and thanks for your help
lola x :)

lolakins

hi akela
e-mailed my dad (which is rare) and he said you do not need a word inbetween,so think it was just my mistake thinking that. not heard from you in a few days,you ok?what else do you do apart from study latin?your profile, i think, says less than mine :) hope your having a good day anyway x

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

omnia is neuter plural; temporarius is masculine singular; temporaria is neuter plural. So it's all fine :)

Hospitalized for depression? I gotta say that I can relate. I've never been hostpitalized for this, but it gets pretty bad a couple of times a year. Luckily, mine is mostly seasonal. Not winter blues, SAD. On the other hand it's bad luck that my depression is seasonal. It rains a lot in Vancouver :bawling:

*Waiting to make my first million and move to the Caribbean*

Apart from this Latin forum I am a student, as it seems an eternal one.

lolakins

sorry to hear that Akela,my house mate had one of those SAD daylight lamps but it doesnt seem to do that much. i get bad at anytime of year unfortunatly,been had not had to 'go away' for it for 4 years and now i have been out 2 weeks or so but still having problems adjusting. it is stressful in there but it takes away alot of the regular stresses,like an escape. sorry to hear about problems with college,are you studying Latin? i did media studies,i did graduate but i did not go to the ceremony,it just seemed such pomp and ceremony and not related to my course. hope you manage to get things sorted,its pretty bad they did not let you know till the last minute! still if you have got this far that must say something so dont give up.
thanks of the help with the latin,i am trying to get a font i like to get it tattooed in (omnia temporaria) but i cannot get an appointment till 21st of this month.
take care and good luck with your course love lolakins x

Iynx

Consularis

• Consularis

Not original, but how about "Sic transit gloria mundi"? Or "Tempus fugit"? Or "Fugit hora?" Or "Variat tempus omnia?" All these were, I bellieve, old-time clock mottoes. Or, viewing impermanence in a slightly different way we might take Seneca: "Momento fit cinis, diu silva", that is. "Long time a forest, in a moment a cinder." If a scriptural quote were preferred we might do worse than Job: "Deus dedit, Deus abstulit", "The Lord hath given, and the Lord hath taken away".

It might help to know more exactly what you wish to express.

lolakins

thankyou for your advice but i think i like omnia temporaria - everything is temporary/impermanent as it fits in with my Buddhist beliefs and its simple and straight to the point. x :)

lolakins

also Iynx i have very small arms so i was at first going to the get the tattoo done round my wrist but it is too small, so i cant have anything too long,i wanted something which was short and summed it up simply not necessarily a quote from any scriture,thanks anyway x