In gratitude for love; In gratitude for life

A

Anonymous

I am looking for some help in having these phrases/ dates translated to Latin please:

"In gratitude for love"

"In gratitude for life
December 26 2004
November 10 2006"

I would like the dates to be in numerals... assuming this is appropriate?
I hope I am posting in the correct area? Am new to this forum.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Re: English to Latin translation request

Amoris gratia

Vitae gratia die XXVI (mensis) Decembris anno MMIV atque die X (mensis) Novembris anno MMVI

A

Anonymous

Thank you so much!
few more question tho if I may...
to list dates correctly would i have to have the words next to the numerals?
ie: "die XXVI mensis Demembris anno MMIV" ?
would it be incorrect to use a numeral to represent December?
would I need to punctuate at all between the words/ numerals, i know a . is often used to seperate numerals.
Again, thank you. This is going to be a tattoo honoring the life of my brother who lived through the indian ocean tsunami & the emergency birth of my son. don't want to end up with mistakes on my skin!

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

The Romans did not, to my knowledge, use punctuation in dates. You could say : die XXIV Decembris anno MMIV. (You may omit the 'mensis') No punctuation necessary. If you had ued XXIV.XII.MMIV, this wouldn't really make any sense, as this was never expressed like this, so I would definitely keep the words.

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

Amoris gratia and vitae gratia just mean "for the sake of love" and "for the sake of life", respectively. I don't think that's exactly what he's looking for, Mattheus.

I'd suggest instead: grato cum animo ob amorem and grato cum animo ob vitam. That's literally "with a grateful heart because of love/life"; Latin prefers expressions of this sort to the use of abstract nouns like English "gratitude".

For the dates, you really don't have to write out the full words, and die "on the day" is hardly necessary. This is a tattoo, after all, not an historical text. You could make it as short as XXVI DEC. A.D. MMIV / X NOV. A.D. MMVI.

A

Anonymous

thank you imber for the clarification. gratitude is key to this message so i will use your translation as well as your recommendations for the dates.
really appreciate your help!