in scissa sura

Here's one I've been having quite a time with, chiefly towards the end of the sentence:

Iesum vero Nazarenum ingressum in sanctuarium, non solum didicisse illas literas, sed etiam inscriptas membranae in scissa sura schedulam abdidisse, et post impositam scripturam rursus cutem surae coaluisse.

As usual, here is my college try: "But Jesus of Nazareth, having entered into the sanctuary, not only learned those letters, but also concealed them inscribed on a leaf of parchment in a broken leg, and after he put the writing on it, united the skin of the calf again."

As you can see, the last part of my translation makes, at best, very little sense.

Here's an image of the text, on page 103 of this Google Book:

sura.png

Thanks everyone so much for your seemingly inexhaustible knowledge and willingness to help!

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

It's something like:

"But Jesus of Nazareth, having entered into the sanctuary, not only learned those letters, but also inscribed them on a leaf of parchment and concealed the leaf in a tear in his calf (lit. "in (his) torn calf); and after the writing had been put in it, the skin of his calf came together again."

Coalesco is intransitive, meaning to come together, to become sealed, not to put something together, which is a transitive meaning.

I looked up sura to see if there wasn't an alternative meaning but there doesn't seem to be, so on the face of it Jesus tore apart his own calf, hid the parchment in it, and the wound miraculously closed over it. Strange, of course, but this was Jesus, right? So it was just another of his alleged miracles.