Interesting/Funny Dreams

Iáson

Cívis Illústris
I had a really strange one last night. It was extremely long and complicated, but for part of it I was with a whole group of people who were (in the dream) my friends, although they don't correspond to people I know in reality. We were exploring a large town, as tourists I guess, when two of my friends were suddenly hit by a speeding tram. I narrowly escaped, but I was shocked because they had been right next to me and then suddenly killed. I went to a large, crumbling and abandoned house which I knew from earlier in the dream (though I have only hazy ideas of the prior part); anyway, in there I found the realm of Death and a time machine. I was going to use the time machine to go back in time and prevent the deaths of my friends, but then I realised that this was impossible, because it would cause a version of the grandfather paradox (I would never have the motivation to travel back in time and prevent it). Then the god of Death himself appeared, and I had a vision of the whole of space and time and all possible universes, looking like shimmering threads which waved slightly against the darkness. Then the god addressed the Gates of Death and told them to open. There was a whole series of them, made from interlocking bars, and they began to move of their own accord, shunting one way and the other. Somehow the god was obtaining knowledge from the Gates, but I'm not sure about what or how. After that I don't remember clearly, but I do recall a demon that had been waiting for the opportunity briefly tormenting me.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
I had a vision of the whole of space and time and all possible universes, looking like shimmering threads which waved slightly against the darkness.
That's cool!

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima
Wow, what an awesome dream! I would enjoy having this one. :)

Etaoin Shrdlu

Civis Illustris
I rarely remember my dreams, and they are so excruciatingly banal when I do that it's little wonder I don't more often: if I'm down to travel, I'm likely to dream about being prevented from getting to wherever the whatever leaves on time, which doesn't happen in real life and is hardly worth relating. I do remember one such dream, where my efforts to get out of Victoria Station were being frustrated by building works all over the place, and Stephen Fry gave me a hand to allow me to get out of a sticky situation. Since then I've occasionally wondered why my subconscious picked a performer I don't often hear, see or think about, but have never found an answer.

Terry S.

Quaestor
Staff member
Had another weird one last night. Dreamed I could see my late uncle/godfather in my wing mirror but not when I turned round. I had a whole team of people trying to find him while I shouted instructions as to where he was moving around. Maybe I still need grief counseling...

Terry S.

Quaestor
Staff member
I won't even bother to describe the dream I had last night. It was like something out of crass horror show. The only two interesting things were: the witch had knitted little cosies for all her pet cats and badgers (!) and later cut out her tongue to give it to an airborne demon so he could curse me verbally. I was reading a book about Irish language planning before I fell asleep, so it didn't come out of that.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
My dreams suck.
Mine too, man. Whether they're horrible or laughable, they're always harrowing. I'd just as soon do without.

Terry S.

Quaestor
Staff member
I nodded off this afternoon and had a (presumably) short dream in which forgot the word avocado. I called them pomegranates, but a rather sniffy lady corrected me and said they were Kiwi fruit.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima
That made me laugh.

I had a dream last night where I had amassed a huge number of house plants and had arranged them all in small "gardens" organized by native climate, along with a somewhat smaller number of cats (and possibly other pets?) and I was having trouble keeping all the cats fed and all the plants watered; I believe it had been days since some of them had received their respective forms of nourishment. Yet the older cat, whom I had definitely forgotten to feed that morning, seemed to still be doing okay, and didn't appear to miss her food at all.

I have this sort of dream fairly often and always wake up feeling deeply guilty, even though I didn't actually forget to feed anyone.

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
I have a vague recollection of a dreamette in which I gave 20 bucks to a stranger, thinking nothing of it, & she just stood there expectantly. I said, "What?"
'n she said, "Well, c'mon then, take off your pants."...

She evidently thought I was 'soliciting' her for a obscene act. :innocent:

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima
I gave 20 bucks to a stranger, thinking nothing of it
Are you this generous in real life? Puts me to shame...(they'll get a dollar or maybe two if they're lucky -- of course I am on a student budget...) :redface:

Terry S.

Quaestor
Staff member
I have this sort of dream fairly often and always wake up feeling deeply guilty, even though I didn't actually forget to feed anyone.
Decades ago I had a recurring dream in which I would go out to my canary shed and realise that I had forgotten about them for months. I'll skip describing the mess of dead and dying birds.

Terry S.

Quaestor
Staff member
Are you this generous in real life? Puts me to shame...(they'll get a dollar or maybe two if they're lucky -- of course I am on a student budget...) :redface:
It depends, too, on how they are begging. If I can, I get them a bite to eat even if they don't ask for anything - especially in the morning. It's sometimes hard to decide what is really helpful.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima
Decades ago I had a recurring dream in which I would go out to my canary shed and realise that I had forgotten about them for months. I'll skip describing the mess of dead and dying birds.
I suspect anyone with pets (or at least who is strongly attached to those pets) has this sort of dream. I didn't know you raised canaries, btw.

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
Well, it's not as though it's every day. But if someone hails me over & I've got some bills on me, they're there for the taking, no matter how hard the guy is bullshitting. I figure if he needs crack, he needs crack.

But there are those characters who are notorious in the area, such as this fellow, & when I see them, I try to patronize. He's a terribly nice guy, & actually quite a good poet. I remember years ago he gave me a Gideon's Bible at around 2 AM, in the heart of the city. If any of you's guy's is feeling bored, I think his stuff is on soundcloud & other such venues.

Last edited:

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
Hah, appears he had a hand in the writing of his own wiki page, the rascal.