Interesting/Funny Dreams

Terry S.

Quaestor
Staff member
That's how I compensate for not being able to speak/write multiple langs (fluently), like everyone else on the forum.
Nor I. I compensate by being a pain in the bahookey.

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
Is a bahookey anything like a shillelagh? What's the bahookey-to-shillelagh conversion rate?

Terry S.

Quaestor
Staff member
Well, if you get hit on the bahookey with a shillelagh, the conversion is likely to be a massive brawl - and no sitting down for a while.

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
Ol' Seamus he plays the bouzouki
well, though just a wee bit kooky,
for he picks with his feet,
'n he strums with his meat,
and amplifies with his bahookey.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
I wasn't familiar with that meaning of "Joe", either, nor with the word "bahookey", nor with "shillelagh", nor with "bouzouki", nor with "kooky".

:(

I guess I'm looking extremly ignorant just now.

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
I thought you were fluent in Spanish?
Nope. My old man never learnt me his native tongue, the sunnuvagun. In fact, our friend SpeedPocok tells me my Spanish has miraculously gone from bad to worse.
:shakehead:

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
It would be terrifically unfair to expect you Belgians & Germans & Polacks & Czechs to know even a small fraction of the moronic Americanisms I use. I would speak in your own sundry modes, if I knew them ever so well!

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
It would be terrifically unfair to expect you Belgians & Germans & Polacks & Czechs to know even a small fraction of the moronic Americanisms I use. I would speak in your own sundry modes, if I knew them ever so well!
i know a small fraction of them, but not alll.

Tironis

Civis Illustris
. . . I hadn't a clue it was going on at all in our largest (but not very big) town . . .
Some of you may have heard of Cynthia Payne, who was convicted of running a brothel at 32 Ambleside Avenue, Streatham, a SW suburb of London. In Streatham, I ask you!!! Only in England!

Terry S.

Quaestor
Staff member
Some of you may have heard of Cynthia Payne, who was convicted of running a brothel at 32 Ambleside Avenue, Streatham, a SW suburb of London. In Streatham, I ask you!!! Only in England!

I remember that from years ago. The tabloids called her Madam Cyn. What's special about Streatham?

Tironis

Civis Illustris
. . . What's special about Streatham?
A leafy London suburb - where sex would raise its ugly head only once a week - on a Saturday night, and even then only in hushed tones.

Terry S.

Quaestor
Staff member
A leafy London suburb - where sex would raise its ugly head only once a week - on a Saturday night, and even then only in hushed tones.
Gotcha. A bit like Glasgow's posh Kelvinside, where the ladies think sex is what potatoes are delivered in.

Iáson

Cívis Illústris
In my dream last night, I went to an event where the speaker was going to talk in Latin, but as soon as it started the world dissolved into an unfamiliar landscape full of palatial buildings and horrendous monsters (I think - I don't remember them very clearly). I kept climbing through the buildings to get to the top, but it was an arduous journey through innumerable winding staircases. Eventually I reached the top of one of the spires and found a hermit there, living on a small balcony alone and avoiding all human contact, and calling himself 'Baron Munchausen'.* He wasn't very helpful and instead suggested I become a concubine of the Emperor, indicating the appropriate building. I don't remember how the dream went after that.

*I had heard this name before, but I couldn't remember where it came from until I looked it up after waking up... I've not read the book but know the name from the trilemma.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
I dreamt I was finishing primary school, though I was an adult. With a friend, I went to a yard or possibly a tennis court or something like that somewhere on the school grounds, and opened with a key a kind of little secret locker at the bottom of a wall there, which my friend and I had used to conceal things (I think it was mostly a few pieces of jewelry) which teachers had confiscated from us and which we had stolen back. I thought that, since we had finished school, the secret of the locker should be passed on to new pupils so they could use it in their turn, but once I had retrieved the things inside it the locker began to sort of crumble and sink into the ground, and I thought "what a pity". Then, somehow, the teachers learned of the confiscated things that we had taken back, and demanded that we return them. I vehemently argued that those things were ours anyway, but they claimed that once things were confiscated, they belonged to the teachers. I don't remember how this argument ended, but later (well, I think it was later, but I'm not sure I remember the order of events right) my mother was there, along with other pupils' parents, to celebrate our successful completion of primary school. At some point, a photo was to be taken, and I thought I would look funny as an adult there, though I still looked rather young so that I might perhaps pass muster as a kid looking a bit older than my age.

Then we were at a supermarket, and at the till we saw a guy in black clothes with a mask and gloves, accompanied by a soldier with a big backpack marked "COVID". The guy bought a bottle of something which was marked "COVID" too. We figured that the man was a confirmed COVID case and the soldier followed him around to make sure he kept his distance from other people. We exited the supermarket and, outside, we were tired and cold and I suggested that we go somewhere indoors to rest. At this point, there were kids with us; I think they were my nephews. There was a disagreement between my mother and me as to where we should go, but I don't recall the details of this. Then we found a house with a notice on the door which read something like "This house has been vacated. Feel free to use it." So we went in, and though some of the rooms were a little cold it was still furnished. There was a bed directly in the first room and the bed was undone, as if someone had used it recently and I thought we probably weren't the first to have enjoyed the free house. However, I was afraid that the previous occupants of the house, by which I mean the people who had owned it before it was turned into a free house, had died from COVID or been taken to hospital and that the house might be infected.

Last edited:

Iáson

Cívis Illústris
In last night's dream, my brother* and a friend of mine were both getting married on the same day (though not to each other). However, the weddings were taking place close by each other, so I was able to go to both.
Much of the dream took place on the day of the weddings, as I suddenly panicked, because I didn't have any suitable dress to wear to a wedding. I remember that I was supposed to help the bride (I can't remember whether my friend's or my brother's) get ready, and there wasn't much time, but I thought given my current crisis that I ought to leave it to the bridesmaids. Then I suddenly remembered that I hadn't bought a wedding gift for either wedding, and I started to panic. That was even worse! The dress could wait. I rushed into town to an ancient-looking bookshop, and tried desperately to find something suitable. But what books would they appreciate? My friend was a fellow graduate student, so something academic would work... but how would I know what he had already? And is it even acceptable to buy books as a wedding present? What do people buy for wedding presents anyway? I have a vague idea that you're supposed to buy cutlery and household implements and so forth, but maybe things are different nowadays. And I ought to draw a card... but doing a good drawing takes ages, there was no way I'd have finished it in time, especially with two of them to produce! And would even that be enough? As I was going over such thoughts and it was getting later and later, I suddenly woke up.

*the strangeness of this will not be apparent to those of you who are not acquainted with my brother.

Terry S.

Quaestor
Staff member
And the mystical interpretation of the dream is: take a break from the PhD for a weekend.

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
You guys ever have it happen when you're in the middle of your day & you think, 'Oh shoot, I forgot to...' 'n then you realize the thing you 'forgot' to do was something you dreamt like 10 hours ago? And you feel like a goddam imbecile when you realize how absurd the thing is. Like, if you'd let yourself finish the thought, you would've said something like, 'Oh shoot I forgot to buy my non-existent husband a birthday card.'

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
I don't think that has ever happened to me, though I have been unsure whether something had happened for real or in a dream.

Hemo Rusticus

Lounge Lizard
Iáson dixit:
*the strangeness of this will not be apparent to those of you who are not acquainted with my brother.
Is that to say that some of us are acquainted with him?