Interesting Words (moved from Games)

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Aye, Ġeorne!

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

Alternately, Kartvelian origin for the word has also been proposed. According to Giorgi Tsereteli, the Proto-Indo-European *wóyh₁nom was itself borrowed from Kartvelian via Semitic.[3] This hypothesis has been accepted by other scientists as plausible.[4] German Kartvelologist Heinz Fähnrich contends that the word is of Kartvelian origin, from the Proto-Kartvelian verbal root *ɣun- (“to bend”, "to wind", "to inflect") from which Georgian words such as ღუნვა (ɣunva), გადაღუნავს (gadaɣunavs), etc. are also derived.[5][6]
Something tells me this isn't exactly mainstream. But I might be wrong.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Hawkwood

• Civis

Aye, you’re welcome.
Ah ok. I can't see that definition on google. Just looking at some dictionaries of OE and AS and they appear quite girthy and tomey. It appears OE declines and conjugates, which I think is the case with Teutonic too (as well as Latin obviously). I'm assuming there's a mix of the two in English.

Hawkwood

• Civis

Just looking at some dictionaries of OE and AS and they appear quite girthy and tomey.
I probably should not have been surprised at this. It looks like OE had a large and involved vernacular but this could also be due to how long OE spans to which I don't actually know but am guessing perhaps between anglo-saxon invasions up to or before the Norman Invasion.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I'm not sure georne is attested in authentic OE with the meaning "you're welcome", or that any other word or phrase is, for that matter. I could be wrong, but if I had to make a bet, I'd say it's likely a neo-use by modern users of OE based on German gerne, which is obviously the etymological equivalent of georne and can be used that way — right, Bitmap? I'm pretty sure you used it that way once when writing to me.

B

Bitmap

I could be wrong, but if I had to make a bet, I'd say it's likely a neo-use by modern users of OE based on German gerne, which is obviously the etymological equivalent of georne and can be used that way — right, Bitmap? I'm pretty sure you used it that way once when writing to me.

Yes! :)

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

It's much like libenter. Some present-day Latinists use it for "you're welcome", but I'm yet to see a Roman example of it being used that way (or any other word or phrase).

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

... which is an entirely different meaning. ;)

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Ah ok. I can't see that definition on google. Just looking at some dictionaries of OE and AS and they appear quite girthy and tomey. It appears OE declines and conjugates, which I think is the case with Teutonic too (as well as Latin obviously). I'm assuming there's a mix of the two in English.
Yep. I just used it as the neo-users do. OE does indeed decline and conjugate! It's great.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I happened to re-read it as a result of this and, well, liked it.

Adrian

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Well, not a single word, but for the sake of french language, I suppose we can shut one eye to it
Ras-le-bol - "bowl full of it" used to express frustration , a point where you can't take it anymore
en avoir ras le bol ( de qqch)
J’en ai ras-le-bol! - "I’m fed up!” or “I’m sick and tired of it!”

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Less elegantly, you can also say J'ai ai plein le cul — "My ass is full of it".

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

"By-blow", an illegitimate child.