Interesting Words (moved from Games)

Adrian

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Innovative Language French Lesson 13 dixit:
The verb arnaquer ("to rip off") derives from the slang harnacher, meaning "to entertain with the intention of swindling." Then the word lost its first letter, h-, in the nineteenth century, and the French used the word to mean "to cheat." In 1900, the spelling of this word evolved to its present form, but its definition shifted to mean "fixing a game."
You will certainly hear the phrase C'est l'arnaque ("It's a rip-off") in many mouths in France, too.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

As always, it's on the way to find something hum-drum that you happen across pure gold:
Featured as part of a phrase, Hebrew 'ešekh (= אשׁך, which I think is a hapax, Lev. 21:20) is translated as G μόνορχις 'having one testicle'. The Vulgate has hirniosus which, if I'm understanding it, seems a bit shy of the mark.

And another thing: one English version says, '...if his stones be broken.'... Here I had been thinking that 'stones' was strictly slang (& a tad on the coarse side, at that), as in someone from the Bronx sayin':
'Jesus Christ, this muddafucka du'dnt got da stones for it.'

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I guess it's just a case of a word changing register over time.

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

Yeah, I guess so. Then again, I suppose 'coarseness' in this case goes without saying. Can't really think of a 'polite term' along the lines of 'bottom' or 'rear-end'. If I ever found myself needing to discuss the matter in a professional context, I s'pose I'd have to use the medical term.

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

glimer - one who squints (that is 'glimes'); glossed in the Catholicon Anglicum, where written 'glymyr', as luscus, limus.

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

That one'd be nifty to revive, if pronounced like ModE 'succulent'. Cognate with Latvian buča, Lith bučius, both 'kiss'.

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

Thought I'd seen this one on the forum somewhere, but search didn't come up with anything (for this thread at least):

crapulous - 'well steeped in drink, sodden, pissed', from the L crapula (ultimately < G) 'bender'.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

That one'd be nifty to revive, if pronounced like ModE 'succulent'.
Hey, yes, that's a great idea! Actually, "bucculent" is attested, but only once in a 1656 glossary, according to the OED.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

The Finnish word for 'cat lover' is kissafani, and there is a magazine with that title. Something for speakers of either American or British English to chuckle immaturely over, though slightly differently.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Something for speakers of either American or British English to chuckle immaturely over, though slightly differently.
Oh, interesting. I didn't know that.

fanny
noun fannies

• 1 British vulgar slang A woman's genitals.
  • 2 North American informal A person's buttocks.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

No one says that.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Oh, I didn't know that you knew everyone.