Interlinear

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

a. (and he is now already in the world) Dwelling in the minds of those who oppose Christ in word or in deed, for the mystery of iniquity is already at work. b. (in the world) In lovers of the world. c. (you) They are not of God, but you are. d. (have overcome) By confessing that Jesus has come in the flesh and by having charity.

a. (him) Antichrist. b. (greater) But not thanks to free will (i.e. you have not overcome him thanks to your free will), but because God is greater at protecting than the devil at attacking. (greater is he that is in you) He teaches to have hope and charity.

a. (the world hears them) But they cannot divert the hearts of spiritual people.

(we are of God) Because we have charity. a. (knows) Through charity.

a. (us) The preachers of the truth. b. (he that is not of God) He who does not have charity. c. (hears us not) The carnal one does not perceive the things that belong to the spirit of God. d. (by this we know) He who hears us has the spirit of truth, he who does not hear has the spirit of error.

a. (Dearly beloved, let us love one another) And because we are of God, not of the world, therefore... b. (let us love) In word, and in deed.

(his brother) Or God. (Variant readings: the version of the Vulgate on the Latin Library, as well as Douay-Rheims and KJV have just "everyone that loves", whereas both your books have "everyone that loves his brother", with this gloss "or God" referring to it in the older book, but this gloss is not found in the Venice.) (his brother) Because he remains with God. a. (knows) Both here and more fully in the future.

a. (knows not God) One does not come to the knowledge of God otherwise than through charity, because wisdom will not enter into a malicious soul (Wisdom, 1:4). (for God is charity) Brotherly love leads to the knowledge of God who is the uttermost love.

(Son) Invisible in himself.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

(only begotten) Visible by the flesh. a. (into the - variant reading, "this" - world) To die for the world. b. (that we may live) (because) first (we were) dead. (The Venice has "because", the other book doesn't) c. (by him) After he was resuscitated. (The Venice has "resuscitating (us)") (in this) In this sending.

a. (charity) Manifest(ed). (Venice, "manifest"; the other book "manifested".)

a. (he has first loved us) He loved unjust ones, but not iniquity. (The two words in Latin are related: "unjust ones" = iniquos; "iniquity" = iniquitatem; so he loved those who had iniquity; "inique ones", if such a word existed, but not iniquity itself. Not sure how to render the symetry of the words in English. You could say "unjust ones" and "unjustness" I guess but "iniquity" is usually how the bible translates iniquitas...) b. (sent his son) The proof of love.

(our sins) To destroy them. a. (My dearest, if God hath so loved us; we also ought to love one another) Be therefore imitators of God, like dearest sons, and walk in love.

(loved us) But not iniquity. a. (no man has seen God at any time) For man will not see me and he will live (slight doubts here).

a. (if) But yet... b. (love) With a sincere and disciplined charity, not with a slack and slothful clemency.

a. (God abides in us) By inspiring good things. b. (and his charity is perfected in us) By dwelling in you, God will make you perfect. c. (in this we know) If we love, he abides in us; which we demonstrate with such a proof: because he has given us of his spirit. (because he has given us of his spirit) He makes us know and talk accurately of his divinity. (Remark on variant readings of the bible text: both your books have de spiritu sancto suo; "of his holy spirit"; the version of the Vulgate I use has just de spiritu suo, "of his spirit", and this is how it's translated in Douay-Rheims.)

a. (we have seen) Through this we prove that he has given of the holy spirit: because we have seen, that is, through the spirit inspiring us we have known by faith, and through the spirit testifying we testify; which those who have not received the holy spirit do not do. b. (testify) Because he was in the world and the world has not known him.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

a. (has sent his son) To the knowledge of men (I am not sure if it is in the sense "for him to acquire knowledge of men" or "for men to acquire knowledge of him". The gloss is ad cognitionem hominum and comments on misit filium suum salvatorem mundi (1 John 4:14). Does someone have an opinion?). b. (Saviour) Not only saviour but also judge. c. (whosoever shall confess) We, through the spirit that was given to us, believe and testify, and whosoever, following our example, confesses through the same spirit with the true confession of the heart, so that neither the deceits of the heretics nor the tortures of persecutors nor the examples of carnal brothers nor his own frailty makes him stumble...

a. (that Jesus is the Son of God) No man says the Lord Jesus, but by the Holy Ghost. (Corint. 12:3)

a. (we have known) By Christian faith as if we had seen. (the charity) Which deceives no one.

(In this is the charity of God perfected with us) Through this it is shown that we love God perfectly, if we do not fear the coming of his judgement: he that fears is not perfected in charity (verse 18).

a. (that we may have confidence) Not fearing to appear before the judge.

(because as he is, we also are in this world) Through this we have confidence: because we imitate the perfection of his love in loving the world even towards enemies, even as he rains down over just ones and unjust ones in the sky (this probably looks weird... but it's what it says). a. (fear is not in charity) Which has confidence thanks to justice (not 100% sure: quae pro merito iusticiae fiduciam habet, can someone check this?); but charity also makes so that present tribulations are not feared.

a. (fear) Slavish. b. (because fear has pain) Because the conscience of sins tortures the heart when justification has not been done yet (or "because it tortures the heart with the conscience of sins..." quia torquet cor conscientia peccatorum, cum nondum facta est iustificatio; I' m not totally sure if conscientia is to be taken as subject or as ablative, with "fear" as implied subject.).

(perfected) To be perfected, let us love.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

a. (first) While there was no obligation, but in order to (make?) friends from enemies (partial quotation sed ut de inimicis amicos, etc., I can't find where it's from).

a. (if any man say) Because many say "I love" only in word, this is added, "if any man..."

a. (whom he sees not) Because one cannot love an unknown thing.

a. (love also his brother) Because if he does not love his brother, he does not love God either, whose children he does not love.

The four chapters are finished, except the doubtful passages/unfound quotations.

COPLAND 3

• Patronus

Awesome! Somebody did chapter 5 and you did 3 john, and somebody else is working on 2 John. All that's left is some extra glosses that I will post occasionally as I work through comparing Migne version with Rusch. Getting close to wrapping this up!