Introducing myself

Cave Alcem

Salve!

This is my first post. I'm a 58-year-old man from Wellington, New Zealand. I have a B.Sc in chemistry and a programming job, and over the last few years have become more interested in history. I'm keen to learn more about the history of Rome and the Latin language. The legions in particular really get me going..... :)

Anyway, my first question. The choice of greeting - "salve" versus "ave". Is there is difference in meaning and the situations in which each should be used? Or, is it pretty much down to preference?

Many thanks for your time - bye for now -
- C.A.

rothbard

Civis Illustris
Staff member
This is my first post. I'm a 58-year-old man from Wellington, New Zealand. I have a B.Sc in chemistry and a programming job, and over the last few years have become more interested in history. I'm keen to learn more about the history of Rome and the Latin language. The legions in particular really get me going..... :)
Welcome!
Anyway, my first question. The choice of greeting - "salve" versus "ave". Is there is difference in meaning and the situations in which each should be used? Or, is it pretty much down to preference?
I am not aware of any differences (see the entries in Forcellini's dictionary here and here). "Ave", sometimes also spelt "have", seems to have been a bit more common.

Cave Alcem

Hi rothbard - thanks for your reply!
Good to find out that they seem to be equivalent.
I'm looking forward to dropping in here and learning more about Latin and ancient Rome itself!

Bye for now and thanks again -
- C.C.