irregular but similar to

What would be the correct translation into Latin of "irregular declension but similar to the first/second/etc. one"?

For regular declensions, I use the phrase "dēclīnātiō prīma/secunda/etc."

B

Bitmap

Which words would that be? I can only think of domus because of its mixed declension.

Yes, for example. There are also some words derived from Ancient Greek and Biblical Hebrew, I think.

You could also say that about 'dea', for example, because of its dative and ablative forms in the plural.

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

I imagine heteroclitus would do you.

B

Bitmap

I don't know if Latin really had a word for irregular declensions ... after all, all the words did follow some rule.

My grammar book calls irregular verbs verba anomala, so if you want to follow that analogy, you can call the nouns nomina anomala.*

So maybe nomen anomalum, sed simile primae/secundae etc. declinationis

*edit: I've just noticed that it also talks about nomina anomala, like Iuppiter, Iovis or senex, senis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, Bitmap. Also for 'vīs', Wiktionary does use the word 'irregular' in the description of its declension:

If I want to use a different phrasing and say about the word 'dea', "first declension except for plural dative and plural ablative",
would it be in Latin "dēclīnātiō prīma praeter (cāsum) datīvum plūrālem et (cāsum) ablātīvum plūrālem"?