"It is not flesh and blood, but heart which makes us fathers and sons." "Thank you, father."

Alexandru Enache

Hello!
I would like to translate this quote "It is not flesh and blood, but heart which makes us fathers and sons."
And also "Thank you, father."
I want to use the latin text for engraving a gift for my father.
Much appreciated.

Adrian

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

"It is not flesh and blood, but heart which makes us fathers and sons." - Nec caro neque sanguis sed [animus/cor] nos patrem et filium facit.

"Thank you, father." - Tibi gratias ago, Pater.

I am not sure if ablative would suit here better e.g. corde nec carne nec sanguine pater et filius sumus...

Last edited:

Alexandru Enache

Thank you!
I think the ablative is better. Corde nec carne nec sanguine pater et filius est. ( the heart is the father and the son, not the blood and not the flesh)

Last edited:

Adrian

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Thank you!
I think the ablative is better. Corde nec carne nec sanguine pater et filius est. ( the heart is the father and the son, not the blood and not the flesh)
Corde nec carne nec sanguine pater et filius (sumus) - it translates to (we are) a father and son not by flesh nor by blood, (but) by "heart".

I would suggest waiting for opinions of other more experienced forum members.

Alexandru Enache

Corde nec carne nec sanguine pater et filius (sumus) - it translates to (we are) a father and son not by flesh nor by blood, (but) by "heart".

I would suggest waiting for opinions of other more experienced forum members.
Yes.

Agrippa

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Perhaps shortest possible translations,

personal statement:

Nos, pater et filius, nec carne nec sanguine inter nos coniuncti sumus, sed animi affectione. Gratias tibi ago, mi pater.

general statement:

Patres et filii nec carne nec sanguine, sed animi affectione inter se coniuncti sunt. Gratias tibi ago, mi pater.

Last edited: