Tattoo Jus est ars boni et aequi, gun est ars belli machina terrae

Chanh Nguyen

Hello! I just want to check the meaning of these two sentences before I perform engraving by customer request. While I know this might be a sensitive subject but let us keep an open mind. To my understanding, it's: "law is the art of the good and the just, gun is the art of the Earth's war machine.". Thank you for your time!

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

"Gun est ars belli machina terrae" doesn't make sense.

What exactly do you mean by "the Earth's war machine"? I could have given you a literal translation right away, but I'd rather first make sure I understand the phrase correctly as it could change what translation works best.

Chanh Nguyen

"Gun est ars belli machina terrae" doesn't make sense.

What exactly do you mean by "the Earth's war machine"? I could have given you a literal translation right away, but I'd rather first make sure I understand the phrase correctly as it could change what translation works best.
Well, a customer claimed he knew what he wanted to engrave on his rifle. But by your reply, I doubt he knew anything. I just want to check the meaning, so I can have a word with him. So your opinion is really, really matter.

I think 'the Earth' is referred to humanity as a whole, or some Earthlings. Something likes "United Earth" or "the World Government" in Star Trek. I actually got a lot of request for tattoos that related to these concepts so I know a bit.

B

Bitmap

But by your reply, I doubt he knew anything
It looks like a phrase he simply entered on Google translate. Note that the Romans didn't have guns, and therefore, they ddn't really have a word for "gun", either. Google translate will often just leave it untranslated in such cases (i.e. translate "gun" as "gun").

Chanh Nguyen

There is a Neo-Latin word for "gun", sclopetum.

I'm still unsure how to interpret "war machine" in the quote.
"war machine" could be (1) the ability to wage wars as a whole, because war isn't just about the frontline. It's logistics, family issues, etc. (2) A gun is a machine that shoots, thus, "war machine". (3) he referred to "The art of war".

Edit: yes, it's (1).