Just now..

puer brasilianus

Civis

• Civis

How to express the Idea when something has Just done or happened?

E.g.
I have just seen It, She has just come from another town, I've just done my homework, I thought you had just come home, I've just learned a new lesson of Latin.. et Cetera.

syntaxianus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Remember this expression too:

[under maxime, under magnus, in L&S]

With nunc, nuper, tum, cum, just, precisely, exactly: Me. Quid? vostrum patri Filii quot eratis? M. Su. Ut nunc maxime memini, duo, just now, Plaut. Men. 5, 9, 58: cum iis, quos nuper maxime liberaverat, Caes. B. C. 3, 9: ipse tum maxime admoto igne refovebat artus, Curt. 8, 4, 25; 6, 6, 10; 5, 7, 2; Liv. 27, 4, 2 Drak.: haec cum maxime loqueretur, sex lictores eum circumsistunt valentissimi, Cic. Verr. 2, 5, 54, § 142; cf. id. ib. 2, 2, 76, § 187; 2, 4, 38, § 72: totius autem injustitiae nulla capitalior, quam eorum, qui cum maxime fallunt, id agunt, ut viri boni esse videantur, id. Off. 1, 13, 41; Liv. 4, 3; 30, 33: tum cum maxime,at that precise time, at that moment Liv. 40, 13, 4; 40, 32, 1; 33, 9, 3; 43, 7, 8; so, tunc cum maxime, Curt. 3, 2, 17: nunc cum maxime, Cic. Clu. 5, 12; id. Sen. 11, 38; Liv. 29, 17, 7; v. 2. cum.—

Anbrutal Russicus

^ this is useful for expressing an opportune temporal coincidence or interruption, "at the precise moment when - what are the chances?". It can't however be used in the sense of "happening a little while ago + ongoing relevance". commodum~commodŏ seems to combine these: "opportune occurrence a little while ago + ongoing relevance". Actually I think commodum/o < quom = cum + modo, exactly like cum maximē but the conjunction escaped reduction because of being stressed.

syntaxianus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

"I just came home" could use the expression, it seems to me: nunc maxime domum redii.

What you are saying, I think, is that it could not be used to say "I just now moved to Spain."

??

Anbrutal Russicus

maximē expresses a total temporal coincidence with something else explicit or implicit with an added sense of suddenness. If there's nothing to coincide with, it coincides with the moment of observation. In this regard I don't see a difference between coming home and moving to Spain:
eho forīs imber incipit - et ego nunc maximē domum rediī! (sī nunc forīs essem permaduissem!) | Vae mihi, nam inquīsītiō Hispānica exorta·st cum maximē in Hispāniam migrāvī!

Maybe the best way to illustrate the difference is to use both in the same sentence: Mē fēlīcem quī modo domum rediī, cum maxumē pluere coepit!

Or this way: cum modo pluere coepit "when it only just started to rain" | cum maxumē pluere coepit "just when it started to rain". modo modifies the predicate itself while maxumē narrows down the temporal reference of the conjunction. commodo pluere coepit would mean "luckily it started to rain just now/then".

Last edited:

syntaxianus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Ah, I think I understand more about the force of maxime. Thank you.

I also came across this in L&S, which echoes what others have suggested:

2. Esp.: nunc nuper, a little while ago, just now Plaut. Truc. 2, 4, 45; Ter. Eun. prooem. 9; Symm. Ep. 2, 3; App. M. 9, 16, p. 224.​
I think nuperrime could also be used. The L&S entry nuper gives this example:

quoniam nuperrime dictum facillime memoriae mandatur, Auct. Her. 3, 10, 18.

= "Since what was just (now) said is very easily committed to memory."