Klingner commentary on Boethius

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Wait... actually who said that res goes with perfectas? It reads more smoothly if you take res together with imperfecta. :D

Oh, I see: "By which [comparison] an imperfect thing is imagined in the mind as going around perfect [ones] like in a dance."

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

I have to wonder whether the frequent use of both animo and anima in quick alternation is deliberate, and he's hinting at a similarity between the World Soul and the reader's soul; he didn't really need to use animo so much.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Just a short sentence, which seems like it should cohere, but I don't see how it does and it's driving me nuts.

Preces vero Timaei, nisi quis inane orationis ornamentum eas esse arbitratur, sunt contemplationis mundum animamque hominis ad res divinas referentis consecratio.

But the prayers of Timaeus -- unless one considers them to be an empty ornament of the speech -- are a consecration of the person bringing/referring a world of contemplation and his soul back to divine things.

That doesn't seem to make much sense, but I don't see how else I could take it. Perhaps I'm missing something obvious?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Referentis agrees with contemplationis, which itself modifies consecratio.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Ahhh. That makes a great deal more sense. Thanks.