Inspirational Knife in hand

J.M

Greetings again to all Latin D members,

Today, once more, I would like the English phrase "Knife in hand to be translated into Latin if possible,

All help appreciated,
J.M

J.M

Would it be something similar to "Cultellus in Manus" or "In Manu Cultellus"

Thank you,
J.M

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Hi,

We need some context. What is implied here? Is it like "(a) knife (is) in (my) hand" or more like "(with) knife in hand(, I do so and so)"?

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

This looks like more of a general motto or something (like sword in hand) compared to a piece of a larger sentence that would give context.
Can't say for sure until J.M responds.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Yes, but even in a motto something has to be implied. It seems like an absolute to me at first sight (second option in my post), but I need to be sure. The construction would be very different in Latin.

J.M

Greetings,

Thank you for your helpful and expanded responses to my request again. it is impressing that Latin (as far as I know) is one of the few languages that changes quite a lot due to what is being implided or emphasised with the phrase as Pacifica had carefully explained. Anyways, as Issacus had recently dictated I would like to use it as a motto in which the context implies that with a 'Prepared and knife in hand ready to strike'

Thank you for your valuable time as always,
J.M

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

You could have cultrum manu tenens or cultro in manu posito*.

*Trying to think of what other and perhaps better participle could be used here.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

*Aptatus? *Armatus?

*That one's a stretch.

**rather armans, of course

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

He says he intends it for "ready to strike", so I went with that.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

**rather armans, of course
Like, cultro manum armante? That sounds unusual, somehow, but it at least makes some sense.

If I were allowed to get creative, I might say cultro in manu micante, "knife glittering in hand", but that's more poetic than the plain original.

The thing is, you can't really have an ablative absolute cultro in manu, literally "knife in hand". That would be very unusual. In Latin, you normally need to add some participle. (I'm saying this more for J.M., who might be wondering.)

Reactions: J.M

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

I'd prefer being poetic over being plain. After all, it's bound to be different.

Like, cultro manum armante? That sounds unusual, somehow, but it at least makes some sense.

Yeah, evidently I'm confused on expressing this in Latin.

The thing is, you can't really have an ablative absolute cultro in manu, literally "knife in hand". That would be very unusual. In Latin, you normally need to add some participle. (I'm saying this more for J.M., who might be wondering.)
I like it when things are pointed out clearly anyway, regardless if I was aware of its function before; perhaps my understanding can be strengthened here.

So, basically I'm still looking for another participle that would make this better...

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Why not parato?