"Know your enemy" and "People are greedy and stupid"

A

Anonymous

Thanks for reading this message. I appreciate you guys are busy and having people randomly tapping your expertise can be tiresome, so I love that you are taking the time to help me out.

I would really appreciate some translation of the following two phrases:

"know your enemy"
and
"people are greedy and stupid"

These are for mottos I want to have engraved. :)

Any help would be gratefully received.

All the best

Phil

Cato

Consularis

• Consularis

"know your enemy"
and
"people are greedy and stupid"
I see two possibilities for the first phrase: Nosce hostem tuum and Nosce inimicum tuum. The first is better if you are talking about an enemy in the military sense, the second if you are talking about a personal enemy.

The format for the second is fairly straightforward: Populus est X et Y; the question now is what to put for X - "greedy" and Y - "stupid", as there are numerous choices; I'll summarize my own feelings on the various words below:

Greedy: cupidus (more like "desirous, eager"; I would not recommend this one), avidus (more like "avid" or "ardent" in the lustful sense; I don't think this is right either), avarus (more like "stingy, covetous", cf. the English cognate "avarice"), edax (more like "rapacious, consuming"). I think the last two are the only plausible choices here, and it depends on whether you want to emphasize the selfishness of greed (use avarus) or its belligerence (use edax).

Stupid: Stultus is the first word that popped in my mind, but ignarus (more like "unaware") and inscitus (more like "uninformed, unskilled") are possibilities. Imprudens, which emphasized foolishness, is another possibility.

My final verdict: Populus est avarus et stultus, mainly because even a person who knows no Latin might puzzle this one out from English cognates.

I welcome other thoughts on this one...